| For Immediate Release
Contact: Charles Pyle
Director of Communications
Awards Given for Career and Technical Education
Business, Industry Partners and Others Recognized for Contributions
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) and the Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education recently recognized the outstanding work of business and industry representatives for promoting career and technical education, as well as the efforts of educators in providing exceptional instruction and positive outcomes for students. Forty-two Virginia Career and Technical Education Creating Excellence Awards were presented in several categories.
Prince William County public schools received the 2005 State Group Award for outstanding contributions, and Charlotte Stowers of Williamsburg-James City County public schools earned the 2005 State Individual Award.
Additional winners were as follows:
Advisory Council/Committee Community College Award
- Henry County public schools Career and Technical Education Advisory Council;
Advisory Council/Committee School Division or Joint Technical Center Awards
- Frederick County public schools Career and Technical Education Advisory Council; and
- Health Advisory Committee in partnership with the Massanutten Technical Center and the Rockingham County public schools.
Business and Industry Partnership Community College Awards
- Huber Engineered Woods in partnership with J.M. Huber Corporation, Halifax County, Halifax Industrial Development Authority, Virginia Economic Development Partnership, the Virginia Department of Economic Development-Workforce Services, and Danville Community College;
- Northern Virginia Family Services (NVFS) Training Futures Program in partnership with NVFS and the Business Technologies Division of the Alexandria Campus of Northern Virginia Community College;
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College in partnership with the CAPER Consortium School Divisions and Infineon Technologies of Richmond; and
- Cox Communications in partnership with Tidewater Community College.
Business and Industry Partnerships School Division Awards
- Peninsula Fine Arts Center in partnership with New Horizons Regional Education Center;
- Stihl Incorporated in partnership with Virginia Beach City public schools; and
- Arlington Kiwanis Club in partnership with Clarendon Education Center and Arlington County public schools.
Business and Industry Partnership School Division or Joint Technical Center Awards
- Professional Technical Studies Advisory Committee and the Foundation for Applied Technical Education in partnership with Fairfax County public schools;
- Tacoma Management Inc. in partnership with Patrick County public schools;
- Lanford Brothers Company Inc. in partnership with Botetourt County public schools and the Virginia Road and Transportation Association;
- Franklin Southampton Charities in partnership with Franklin City public schools’ Medical Sciences program;
- BAE Systems in partnership with Prince William County public schools;
- Build-A-House Partnership in partnership with Chesterfield County public schools
- Criminal Justice Program in partnership with the Albemarle County Police Department, Charlottesville Police Department, University of Virginia Police Department, Emergency Communications Center, Charlottesville-Albemarle Technical Education Center, and Piedmont Virginia Community College;
- Century 21 Clary and Associates in partnership with Mecklenburg County public schools and Southside Virginia Tech Prep Consortium;
- Apple Federal Credit Union in partnership with Stafford County public schools and Brooke Point Future Business Leaders of America and Business Department;
- Lynchburg Dental Society in partnership with Lynchburg City public schools;
- ·Henrico Federal Credit Union and Chief Executive Officer Chris Williams in partnership with Deep Run High School and Henrico County public schools;
- National Association of Women in Construction Richmond Chapter #141 in partnership with Henrico County public schools; and
- Wyndham Hotel and Manager John Cario in partnership with Highland Springs Technical Center and Henrico County public schools.
Region 1 Individual Award
- Mary W. Dick of Varina High School, Henrico County public schools.
Region 1 Group Award
- Chris Bailor, Julliet Coates, Mary Colgin, Gerry Cooke, Karen Gleason, Pamela Ross, Georgia Kirkpatrick, Tina Simms, Sarah Jessie, Nichole Gore, Lisa Furr, and Jacquelyn Smith-White of Hermitage Technical Center, Henrico County public schools.
Region 2 Individual Award
- Charlotte Stowers of Jamestown High School, Williamsburg-James City County public schools.
Region 2 Group Award
- Kay Gramling, Suzette Johnson, and Rob Lanz of Landstown High School, Virginia Beach public schools.
Region 3 Individual Award
- Kaye Marie Pennock of Stafford High School, Stafford County public schools.
Region 4 Individual Awards
- Michael Lahr of Arlington Career Center, Arlington County public schools;
- John Lawrence of Marshall Academy, Fairfax County public schools; and
- Marty Rothwell of Chantilly Academy, Fairfax County public schools.
Region 4 Group Awards
- Tom O’Day and David Welsh of Arlington Career Center, Arlington County public schools and
- Joe Botta, Tom Meagher, Tom Pickney, Kathy Pechauer, Sally Martin, Taryn Witt, Charles Manyfield, Carrie English, Melissa Dowell, Helene Chapman, Veronica Byrd, Sue Parker, Nancy Mattfield, and Gillian Kane-Mobley of Prince William County public schools.
Region 5 Individual Award
- Kevin J. Lipscomb Sr. of Wilbur S. Pence Middle School, Rockingham County public schools.
Region 6 Individual Award
- Chris Overfelt of Arnold R. Burton Tech Center, Roanoke County public schools.
Region 6 Group Awards
- Jeff Hollandsworth, Kay Bivens, and Sandy Beyers of the Roanoke County Career Center, Roanoke County public schools and
- Susan B. Sheffield of Albemarle County public schools and Lee Davis of Charlottesville City public schools.
Region 7 Individual Award
- Patricia Burkholder of Carroll County High School, Carroll County public schools.
Region 8 Individual Award
- Michelle Lyons of Park View Middle School, Mecklenburg County public schools.
Region 8 Group Award
- Lin Hite of Bluestone High School and Joe Kuhn of Park View High School, Mecklenburg County public schools.
The Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education is chaired by Caroline Martin of Riverside Health System and includes Craig Balzer of Balzer and Associates; Theresa Bryant of Workforce Development with Tidewater Community College; Franklin D. Harris of Southside Electric Cooperative; Dr. Brenda Long of Stafford County’s Career and Technical Education office; Mike Mills of American Woodmark Corporation; Toney Rigali of Virginia Pipe Trades Association; Judy Sorrell of Shenandoah Valley Regional Program; and Ray Tate of Old Dominion Glass Company.