Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enroll my child?
In order to enroll a child in a public school system in Virginia, state law requires a parent or guardian of a child to provide certain information to the child's school division. Go to Enrollment in Virginia Public Schools for the list of required information.
How do I obtain a teaching license in Virginia?
The Virginia Department of Education licenses teachers and administrators according to regulations adopted by the Board of Education. Go to Licensure for information about:
- Licensure Application
- Licensure Renewal
- Licensure Changes
- Approved Teacher Education Programs
How do I pay my student loans?
The Virginia Department of Education does not oversee student loans. Contact the U.S. Department of Education for information about obtaining or repaying loans.
How do I provide home instruction for my child?
There are several options, go to Home Instruction for information and required documentation.
How do I report [a local issue]?
In Virginia, local school boards are responsible for the day-to-day governance of schools in each division. This includes decisions about:
- Student discipline,
- Attendance boundaries,
- Local textbook selection,
- Dress codes, and
- Grading scales.
Questions about these and other local matters should be directed to the appropriate school division contact. Contact information on Virginia school divisions and schools is available on the Virginia Schools Directory webpage.
How do I report teacher misconduct allegations?
Teacher misconduct allegations may be emailed to Licensure@doe.virginia.gov.
How do I request a copy of my transcript?
- High School – The Virginia Department of Education does not have student high school transcripts – public or private. To obtain copies of school records, contact your local school division’s administrative offices. Contact information on Virginia school divisions and schools is available on the Virginia Schools Directory webpage.
- College – VDOE is the commonwealth’s K-12 agency. You will need to contact the Office of Private and Out-of-state Postsecondary Education at the State Council of Higher Education.
- GED – VDOE no longer accepts paper, phone, fax or email requests for the fulfillment of GED credentials. GED test takers who earned a credential can order duplicate copies of transcripts and official Virginia GED certificates online at the GED Credentialing website. Additional information is available on the High School Equivalency (HSE) Credential webpage or you may contact the Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education at firstname.lastname@example.org, 804-225-3999 or 804-786-3347.
- Adult/Trade Schools – The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia is responsible for the certification of private and out-of-state postsecondary educational institutions operating in Virginia. You will need to contact the Private Postsecondary Education (PPE) unit.