Office of Adult Education & Literacy
The Office of Adult Education and Literacy distributes funds and provides leadership and services related to adult education programs in Virginia, including:
- Adult basic education and literacy
- English for speakers of other languages
- Community -based literacy organizations
- General education development
- GED testing services
- Adult secondary education
- English literacy and civics education
- Individualized Student Alternative Education Plan programs.
For more information about programs and services offered by this office, see:
Mission & Goals
The Office of Adult Education and Literacy operates as the designated agency to coordinate all secondary adult education and literacy services in the commonwealth.
- As a partner in Virginia's workforce development system, the office provides leadership, develops public policy, maintains an accountability system and funds research and training.
- The office ensures the availability of high-quality adult education programs for individuals to earn high school credentials, to prepare for the workforce and to enter post-secondary education and training programs.
The goals of the office are to:
- Raise the performance levels of adult education programs
- Increase the number of GED credentials issued by Virginia
- Strengthen and expand collaborative relationships with workforce development agencies, post-secondary institutions and other community partners
- Provide high-quality customer service
- Provide alternatives for youth who are at risk of dropping out of school
GED and GED Testing Service are registered trademarks of the American Council on Education and may not be used or reproduced without express written permission. The GED and GED Testing Service brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC under license from the American Council on Education.