Virginia Department of Education Vision, Mission and Code of Ethics
VDOE Vision Statement
The vision of the Virginia Department of Education, in collaboration with: the governor; the secretary of education; the General Assembly; the Virginia Board of Education; local school boards; education stakeholders and parents; is to create an excellent system of public education that prepares every Virginia student for success.
VDOE Mission Statement
The mission of the Virginia Department of Education is to lead and facilitate the development and implementation of a quality public education system that meets the needs of students and assists them in becoming educated, productive, responsible, and self-reliant citizens.
VDOE Code of Ethics
As employees of the Virginia Department of Education we will:
- Dedicate our efforts toward excellence in public education through continuous improvement.
- Earn the respect, trust, and confidence of elected and appointed officials, those with whom we work, and the public in every day interactions by being a positive role model and treating all persons in an evenhanded and courteous manner.
- Commit to the highest ideals of honesty, integrity, and the stewardship of public resources by protecting the department's assets and ensuring their proper and efficient use.
- Comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
- Promote policies and programs in accordance with the department's Statement of NonDiscrimination and the commonwealth's EEO policy, supporting the rights and recognizing the needs of all citizens regardless of race, sex, age, religion, creed, country of origin, or disability.
- Maintain the confidentiality of information entrusted to us by preventing unauthorized disclosure.
- Expose through appropriate means and channels any discovered evidence of corruption, misconduct, or neglect of duty.
- Strive for professional excellence of the highest caliber by enhancing professional knowledge, skills, and abilities for ourselves and our colleagues.
- Adhere to the principle that the public's business should be conducted in the public view by observing and following both the letter and the spirit of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.
- Abide by Department of Education policies, Virginia's Standards of Conduct for Employees, and related regulations.
- Avoid the appearance of conflict of interest by not engaging in activities that may be inconsistent with the State and Local Government Conflict of Interest Act or the Public Procurement Act.
- Uphold these principles in adhering to this Code of Ethics