|FROM:||Jo Lynne DeMary
Superintendent of Public Instruction
|SUBJECT:||Certifications for Certain State Funds in Fiscal Year 2001|
Regulatory Supts. Memo. No. 1, dated March 17, 2000, provided information on Direct Aid to Public Education accounts that require certifications in order for school divisions to receive the funding. Attachment A is a copy of the "Summary of Account Information" provided in that memorandum. The purpose of this memorandum is to provide you with the certification forms for several of the accounts. Forms for other accounts requiring certification will be communicated through other superintendents' memoranda. This memorandum addresses the certification requirements for the following accounts:
1. School Construction Grants Program Funds – For fiscal year 2000 and fiscal year 2001 funds may be used for school construction, additions, renovations, infrastructure, site acquisition, construction, payments to escrow accounts pursuant to Chapter 391, 1999 Acts of Assembly, and debt service for projects completed within the previous 10 years. Projects included for fiscal year 2001, are those that were completed since fiscal year 1991 (inclusive).
For fiscal year 2001 school construction grant program funds may also be used for technology, other expenditures related to modernizing classroom equipment, and school safety equipment or school safety renovations in addition to the fiscal year 2000 use of funds. Attachment A requests information on actual expenditures for fiscal year 2000 and estimated expenditures for fiscal year 2001.
2. Lottery Funds - Attachment B is the certification required for receipt of the lottery funds for fiscal year 2001. After this certification has been signed and returned to the Department of Education, payments will be transmitted on a semi-monthly basis.
3. At Risk - Attachment C should be signed to certify that the state and local shares of the at-risk payment for fiscal year 2001 are being used to support approved programs for students who are educationally at-risk.
4. Salary Supplement - Signing Attachment D certifies that the average classroom teacher salary has been improved by at least 2.4 percent effective December 1, 2000, for fiscal year 2001. Upon receipt of the certification, payments will be sent semi-monthly beginning in December, 2000.
5. Additional Teachers – Funding is provided in fiscal year 2001 for the state’s share of adding approximately 1,400 elementary teachers, in addition to those funded through the Standards of Quality and K-3 Reduced Class Size payments. Signing Attachment E certifies the intent of the school division to participate in the program. (Note: A subsequent certification form will be sent to you in October for the purpose of certifying that the additional teachers provided under this program have been employed.)
6. Administrative Software Support -Funding is provided in fiscal year 2001 for upgrading and maintaining the administrative and student management and information systems software purchased during the 1998-2000 biennium. Signing Attachment F certifies that these funds will be used for the upgrades and maintenance on the administrative software.
7. Standards of Learning
Remediation – Signing Attachment G certifies that a remediation program
will be offered to students as a condition of receiving the state incentive
funds in fiscal year 2001.
Other certifications you have received or will receive in future superintendent’s memoranda include: