COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
P. O. BOX 2120
RICHMOND, VIRGINIA 23218-2120

SUPTS. MEMO. NO. 110
June 2, 2000

INFORMATIONAL

TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: JoLynne DeMary
Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: Career and Technical Education Federal Perkins Act Funds for July 1, 2000, through September 30, 2001


 The Perkins Act of 1998 has changed the funding formula for calculating entitlements
to school divisions.  In addition, Congress changed the period when federal funds 
will be made available to the Department of Education for disbursement.

The funding formula is based on fall membership (grades PK through 12 as reported to
the National Center for Education Statistics with the U. S. Department of Education) 
and the poverty level of youth in each locality, as determined by the U. S. 
Department of Education.  In fiscal year 2000-2001, the 1999 fall membership and 
the 1995 poverty level data will be used to calculate entitlements.

The grant period will run from July 1, 2000, through September 30, 2001; however, 
the funds will be distributed to the state in two allocations.  Only 25 percent will 
be available between July 1, 2000, and September 30, 2000.  After September 30, 2000, 
the first 25 percent will continue to be available and the remaining 75 percent will 
be available through September 30, 2001.  All funds are available to be spent until 
September 30, 2001.

Attachment A is a printout reflecting 25 percent of the estimated Carl Perkins funds 
available to each school division beginning July 1, 2000.  Because the state and 
school divisions cannot expend more than the 25 percent allocation during the 
July 1 through September 30, 2000, time period, funds will be distributed on a 
reimbursement basis for actual expenditures not to exceed the 25 percent allocation. 

Attachment B lists the remaining 75 percent of grant funds allocated and available 
October 1, 2000, through September 30, 2001.  These funds will be distributed on a 
reimbursement basis as well.

Attachment C is the reimbursement request form to be used by school divisions.

Any questions concerning the entitlements may be addressed to Mrs. June Eanes, 
budget director, or Mrs. Leigh H. Williams, senior budget analyst, at (804) 225-2025. 
If additional information is needed, please contact Dr. Neils Brooks, director, 
Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education Services, at (804) 225-2847, or 
Bob Almond, administrative manager for grant programs, at (804) 225-3349.

JLD/lw

/administrators/superintendents_memos/2000/inf110a.pdf

/administrators/superintendents_memos/2000/inf110b.pdf

http://www.pen.k12.va.us./VDOE/suptsmemo/2000/inf110c.pdf