COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
P.O. BOX 2120
RICHMOND, VIRGINIA 23218-2120
SUPTS. MEMO NO. 99
June 29, 2001
INFORMATIONAL
 
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Jo Lynne DeMary
Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: Career and Technical Education Federal Perkins Act Funds for July 1, 2001, through June 30, 2002

The United States Department of Education (USDOE) is requiring states to use 1997 U. S. Census Office poverty data to calculate Perkins allotments for fiscal year 2001-2002. Last fiscal year, 1995 poverty data were used. Therefore, there are changes in the amounts of Perkins funds for every school division. In addition, last year Congress changed the period when federal funds will be made available to the Department of Education for disbursement.

The funding formula is based on fall membership (grades PK through 12 as reported to the National Center for Education Statistics with the U. S. Department of Education) and the poverty level of youth in each locality, as determined by the U. S. Department of Education. In fiscal year 2000-2001, the 2000 fall membership and the 1997 poverty level data are used to calculate entitlements.

The grant period will run from July 1, 2001, through June 30, 2002; however, the funds will be distributed to the state in two allocations. Only 25 percent will be available beginning July 1, 2001, through June 30, 2002. Beginning October 1, 2001, the remaining 75 percent will be available through June 30, 2002. Please note that a recent decision by the USDOE does not allow local recipients of Perkins funds to carry over unspent monies to the next fiscal year, therefore, all funds are available to be spent until June 30, 2002.

Attachment A is a printout reflecting 25 percent of the estimated Carl Perkins funds available to each school division beginning July 1, 2001. Because the state and school divisions cannot expend more than the 25 percent allocation during the July 1 through September 30, 2001, time period, funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis for actual expenditures not to exceed the 25 percent allocation.

Attachment B lists the remaining 75 percent of grant funds allocated and available October 1, 2001, through June 30, 2002. These funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis as well.

Attachment C is the reimbursement request form to be used by school divisions.

Any questions concerning the entitlements may be addressed to Kent Dickey, budget director, or Mrs. Leigh H. Williams, senior budget analyst, at (804)225-2025. If additional information is needed, please contact Dr. Neils W. Brooks, director, office of career and technical education services, at (804)225-2847, or Bob Almond, administrative manager for grant programs, at (804)225-3349.

JLD/sgj

Attachments

/administrators/superintendents_memos/2001/inf099a.pdf

/administrators/superintendents_memos/2001/inf099b.pdf

/administrators/superintendents_memos/2001/inf099c.pdf