COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
P.O. BOX 2120
RICHMOND, VIRGINIA 23218-2120
SUPTS. MEMO NO. 13
March 15, 2002
Jo Lynne DeMary
Superintendent of Public Instruction
Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, September 28, 2000, contain provisions for awards for exemplary performance for students who meet the requirements for graduation as follows:
1. Students who complete the requirements for an Advanced Studies Diploma with an average grade of "B" or better, and successfully complete at least one advanced placement course (AP), international baccalaureate (IB), or one college-level course for credit will receive the Governor's Seal on the diploma.
2. Beginning with the ninth-grade class of 2000-01, students who complete the requirements for a Standard Diploma with an average grade of "A" will receive a Board of Education Seal on the diploma. Students in the tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grades in 2000-01 may earn the seal with a B average.
3. The Board of Educations Career and Technical Education Seal will be awarded to students who earn a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma and complete a prescribed sequence of courses in a career and technical education concentration or specialization that they choose and maintain a "B" or better average in those courses; or (i) pass an examination in a career and technical education concentration or specialization that confers certification from a recognized industry, trade or professional association; or (ii) acquire a professional license in that career and technical education field from the Commonwealth of Virginia.
4. The Board of Education's Seal of Advanced Mathematics and Technology will be awarded to students who earn either a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma and (i) satisfy all of the mathematics requirements for the Advanced Studies Diploma (four units of credit including Algebra II); two verified units of credit with a "B" average or better; and (ii) either (a) pass an examination in a career and technical education field that confers certification from a recognized industry, or trade or professional association; (b) acquire a professional license in a career and technical education field from the Commonwealth of Virginia; or (c) pass an examination approved by the Board that confers college-level credit in a technology or computer science area.
5. Students may receive other seals or awards for exceptional academic, career and technical, citizenship, or other exemplary performance in accordance with criteria defined by the local school board.
Please note that, as in the past, the Board or Governors Seals are not to be interchanged between diplomas and may only be used when the above conditions have been met. The seal should be placed in the lower left quarter of the diploma. Local school boards determine the design and use of other seals. Students may earn a combination of a Board of Education Seal or Governors Seal and either a Career and Technology Seal or Advanced Mathematics Seal or both.
Traditionally, seals have been purchased and stored at the Department of Education. School superintendents are required to submit a request for the number of seals of each type needed for that years graduating class. A form is enclosed for your use to request seals for the 2001 school year graduates. Your orders should be sent as soon as possible, but not later than April 12, 2002.
For information regarding the awarding and use of the seals, please contact staff of the office of accreditation at 804-786-1062. Orders for seals or questions regarding placing orders should be directed to Ms. Patricia Hicks, Office of Production Services, Division of Technology, at 804-225-2400.