COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
P.O. BOX 2120
RICHMOND, VIRGINIA 23218-2120
SUPTS. MEMO NO. 69
November 22, 2002
Jo Lynne DeMary
Superintendent of Public Instruction
Certifications for Certain State Funds in Fiscal Year 2003
Due: December 20, 2002
Special note: posting of this memorandum was delayed pending the implementation of monthly spending limits for the current year by the Department of Planning and Budget. The monthly spending limit process is now in place so the department is proceeding with the certification process for the incentive-based accounts addressed in this memorandum. Based on this process for monthly spending limits, a revised schedule of payments for Direct Aid accounts for fiscal year 2003 will be transmitted in a separate memorandum.
Chapter 899 (2002-2004 appropriation act) requires school divisions to submit certifications for certain incentive-based accounts before the Department of Education can release funding. The purpose of this memorandum is to provide you with the certification forms for several of these accounts. For fiscal year 2003, an Excel template will be used to facilitate the collection of the required certifications. The Excel template can be downloaded from the departments website at the following address:
Attachment A to this memorandum provides instructions for accessing the Excel file from the departments website.
This memorandum addresses the certification requirements for the following accounts:
1. School Construction Grants Program Funds Fiscal year 2002 funds carried over at the local level and fiscal year 2003 funds may be used for school construction, additions, renovations, infrastructure, site acquisition, technology, other expenditures related to modernizing classroom equipment, school safety equipment or school safety renovations, and payments to escrow accounts pursuant to Chapter 391, 1999 Acts of Assembly ( 22.1-175.5, Code of Virginia). School construction funds may also be used for debt service on projects completed within the previous 10 years (since fiscal year 1993 inclusive). This 10-year limit, back to fiscal year 1993, applies to all sources of state school construction funds expended in fiscal year 2003, including those funds spent from the School Construction Escrow Fund, regardless of the fiscal year the funds were originally provided by the state.
The School Construction Grants Program certification sheet requests information on actual expenditures for fiscal year 2002 and estimated expenditures for fiscal year 2003. The certification sheet also requests information regarding the treatment of School Construction Grants Program funds by the local governing body.
2. Lottery Funds - After this certification has been signed and returned to the Department of Education, payments will be transmitted on a semi-monthly basis. Signing this form certifies that the division will maintain a certain level of total local operating expenditures and that state lottery funds will be appropriated for certain permitted uses, as specified in the appropriation act. In addition, a local match based upon the composite index of local ability-to-pay is required to receive state funds.
3. At-Risk Signing this form certifies that the state and local shares of the At-Risk payment for fiscal year 2003 will be used to support approved programs for students who are educationally at-risk. A local match based upon the composite index of local ability-to-pay is required to receive state funds.
4. Standards of Learning (SOL) Remediation Signing this form certifies that a remediation program will be offered to students who need remediation based on their performance on the SOL assessments or who need remediation in order to pass the SOL assessments. Signing this certification is required to receive state incentive funds under the SOL Remediation program in fiscal year 2003. A local match based upon the composite index of local ability-to-pay is required to receive state funds.
5. Standards of Learning Algebra Readiness Signing this form certifies that an intervention program will be offered to students who are identified through the state-provided Algebra Readiness Diagnostic Test (ARDT) as needing additional instruction and that students who receive intervention services will be assessed again at the end of the school year as a condition of receiving state funds under this program in fiscal year 2003. You will also certify on this form that unspent state funds you received for this program in fiscal year 2002 were carried over to fiscal year 2003 and that they will only be used for the SOL Algebra Readiness program in fiscal year 2003. A local match based upon the composite index of local ability-to-pay is required to receive state funds.
If you plan to use a locally developed or selected test instead of using the state-provided test, you must complete this certification and check the box indicating that you plan to use a locally developed or selected test. You must also submit a second certification form to obtain approval from the department to use a different test. This certification form can be obtained from the following web address under the Instruction heading:
6. Technology Support (Technology Resource Assistants) Signing this form certifies that on-site support for the Standards of Learning Web-based Technology Initiative will be available at each high school receiving state funds. This support may be provided by directly employing technology resource assistants or by contracting for on-site technology support services. A local match based upon the composite index of local ability-to-pay is required to receive state funds.
Please note that forms for all other accounts requiring certification will be communicated through separate superintendents memoranda. These include:
K-3 Primary Class Size Reduction This certification was sent to school divisions as part of the 2002 Fall Membership Data Collection.
Early Reading Intervention Informational Superintendents Memorandum No. 54, dated April 5, 2002, included instructions for participating in this program. This certification was due to the department by May 3, 2002.
At-Risk Four-Year-Olds (Virginia Preschool Initiative) Informational Superintendents Memorandum No. 53, dated April 5, 2002, included the application package and required certifications for fiscal year 2003. The application was due to the department by May 15, 2002.
The certifications contained in the Excel template must be signed by the division superintendent and returned to the budget office by December 20, 2002, if you wish to participate in these optional programs. Please mail the signed certifications to:
Virginia Department of Education
Attn: Budget Office
P.O. Box 2120
Richmond, Virginia 23218-2120
Please also e-mail the completed Excel template to K12Budget@mail.vak12ed.edu. If you have any questions concerning this certification process, please contact budget office staff at (804) 225-2025.