[COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA

DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

P.O. BOX 2120

RICHMOND, VIRGINIA 23218-2120

SUPTS. MEMO NO. 141

July 9, 2004

INFORMATIONAL

TO:

Division Superintendents

 

FROM:

Jo Lynne DeMary

Superintendent of Public Instruction

 

SUBJECT:

Career and Technical Education Federal Perkins Act Funds for July 1, 2004, Through June 30, 2005

 

The Department of Education is pleased to provide school divisions with the Career and Technical Education Federal Perkins allocations for the 2004-2005 school year. Please refer to the attachments for funding allocations and the request for reimbursement form.

 

The grant period extends from July 1, 2004, through June 30, 2005; however, the funds will be distributed to the state in two allocations. Only 34 percent will be available beginning July 1, 2004, through June 30, 2005. Beginning October 1, 2004, the remaining 66 percent will be available through June 30, 2005. As you know, there is no provision for Perkins funds to be carried over to the next school year, which means that all funds must be spent by June 30, 2005.

 

Attachment A is a printout reflecting 34 percent of the estimated Perkins funds available to each school division beginning July 1, 2004. Because the state and school divisions cannot expend more than the 34 percent allocation during the July 1 through September 30, 2004, time period, funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis for actual expenditures not to exceed the 34 percent allocation.

 

Attachment B lists the remaining 66 percent of the funds allocated and available October 1, 2004, through June 30, 2005. These funds also will be distributed on a reimbursement basis.

 

Attachment C is the reimbursement request form to be used by the school divisions. The final request for reimbursement is due to the Department of Education by June 10, 2005. All expenditures must be consistent with the approved local application.

 

Any questions concerning the allocations may be addressed to Becky Marable (mailto:rmarable@mail.vak12ed.edu), grants administrator, at 804/225-3349, or James A. Gray, Jr. (mailto:jimgray@pen.k12.va.us), associate director for career and technical education, at 804/225-2833.

 

JLD/sgj

 

Attachments

 

/administrators/superintendents_memos/2004/inf141a.pdf

/administrators/superintendents_memos/2004/inf141b.pdf

/administrators/superintendents_memos/2004/inf141c.pdf