COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
P.O. BOX 2120
RICHMOND, VIRGINIA 23218-2120
SUPTS. MEMO NO. 9
January 5, 2006
Patricia I. Wright
Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction
Requirements under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001(NCLB) for Title I School Improvement Plans
The purpose of this memorandum is to inform you that the Department of Education Title I specialists will be contacting Title I coordinators in school divisions that have Title I schools in school improvement status to ensure that the school improvement plan meets NCLB requirements. The departments Title I office will work collaboratively with the Office of School Improvement to coordinate efforts for review of the plans. All school divisions with schools in school improvement status will be contacted by February 28, 2006. A list of the identified schools can be found at: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/src/title1.shtml.
The NCLB requirements for Title I schools in Year 1 of School Improvement or beyond are described below.
As required under section 1116(b)(3)(a) of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, each local school division that has Title I schools in Year 1 or beyond of Title I School Improvement, must develop or revise its local school improvement plan in consultation with parents, school staff, and others not later than 3 months after being identified.
The school improvement plan must include the following ten components:
1) incorporate scientifically-based research strategies that strengthen the core academic program;
2) adopt polices and practices concerning the schools core academic subjects that have the greatest likelihood of ensuring that all groups of students will meet the states proficient level of achievement on the state academic assessment no later than 12 years after the end of the 2001-2002 school year;
3) provide an assurance that the school will spend not less than 10 percent of the funds made available to the school for the purpose of providing high-quality professional development;
4) specify how the funds described will be used to remove the school from school improvement status;
5) establish specific annual, measurable objectives for continuous and substantial progress by each subgroup of students;
6) describe how the school will provide written notice about the identification to parents;
7) specify the responsibilities of the state educational agency and the local school division under the plan, including specifying the technical assistance to be provided by the state educational agency;
8) include strategies to promote effective parental involvement;
9) incorporate, as appropriate, activities before school, after school, during the summer, and during any extension of the schools year;
10)incorporate a teacher mentoring program.
If you have questions regarding the Title I school improvement plan for your division, please contact the appropriate Title I specialist for your region as listed below.
E-mail Address Phone
Regions I & II
Shady Clark, Jr. Shady.Clark@doe.virginia.doe (804) 225-2901
Gabie Frazier Gabie.Frazier@doe.virginia.doe (804) 225-2907
Ann Sheehan Ann.Sheehan@doe.virginia.doe (804) 371-2932
Regions V & VI
Dr. Philip Iovino Philip.Iovino@doe.virginia.doe (804) 371-7347
Rita Ghazal Rita.Ghazal@doe.virginia.doe (804) 225-2904