DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
SUPTS. MEMO NO. 9
March 30, 2007
Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.
Superintendent of Public Instruction
Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, effective September 7, 2006, contain provisions for awards for exemplary performance for students who meet the requirements for graduation as follows:
1. The Governor's Seal shall be awarded to students who complete the requirements for an Advanced Studies Diploma with an average grade of "B" or better and successfully complete at least one Advanced Placement course (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or one college-level course for credit. (NOTE: New requirements for this seal take effect with the ninth-grade class of 2006-2007 and beyond. The requirements adopted in 2000 for the ninth-grade classes of 2001 through 2005, as stated here, will remain in effect for the graduating classes of 2007, 2008, and 2009.)
2. The Board of Education Seal shall be awarded to students who complete the requirements for a Standard Diploma or Advanced Studies Diploma with an average grade of A.
3. The Board of Education's Career and Technical Education Seal will be awarded to students who earn a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma and complete a prescribed sequence of courses in a career and technical education concentration or specialization that they choose and maintain a "B" or better average in those courses; or (i) pass an examination or an occupational competency assessment in a career and technical education concentration or specialization that confers a certification or occupational competency credential from a recognized industry, trade or professional association, or (ii) acquire a professional license in that career and technical education field from the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Board of Education shall approve all professional licenses and examinations used to satisfy these requirements. Please view the following Web links for additional information:
4. The Board of Education's Seal of Advanced Mathematics and Technology will be awarded to students who earn either a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma, and (i) satisfy all of the mathematics requirements for the Advanced Studies Diploma (four units of credit including Algebra II; two verified units of credit) with a "B" average or better; and (ii) either (a) pass an examination in a career and technical education field that confers certification from a recognized industry, or trade or professional association; (b) acquire a professional license in a career and technical education field from the Commonwealth of Virginia; or (c) pass an examination approved by the Board that confers college-level credit in a technology or computer science area. The Board of Education shall approve all professional licenses and examinations used to satisfy these requirements. Please view the following Web links for additional information:
The Board of Educations Seal for Excellence in Civics Education will be
awarded to students who earn either a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma and:
(i) complete Virginia and United States History and Virginia and United States
Government courses with a grade of "B" or higher; and, (ii) have good
attendance and no disciplinary infractions as determined by local school board
policies and, (iii) complete 50 hours of voluntary participation in community
service or extracurricular activities. Activities that would satisfy the
requirements of clause (iii) of this subdivision include: (a) volunteering for
a charitable or religious organization that provides services to the poor, sick
or less fortunate; (b) participating in Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or similar
youth organizations; (c) participating in JROTC; (d) participating in political
campaigns or government internships, or Boys State, Girls State, or Model
General Assembly; or (e) participating in school-sponsored extracurricular
activities that have a civics focus. Any student who enlists in the
6. Students may receive other seals or awards for exceptional academic, career and technical, citizenship, or other exemplary performance in accordance with criteria defined by the local school board.
Please note that, as in the past, the Board of Education Seal and the Governors Seal are not to be interchanged among diplomas and may only be used when the conditions cited have been met. The seal should be placed in the lower left quarter of the diploma. Students who earn the Board of Education Seal or the Governors Seal may also earn the Career and Technical Education Seal, the
Advanced Mathematics and Technology Seal, or the Civics Education Seal.
Traditionally, seals have been purchased and stored at the Department of Education. School superintendents are required to submit a request for the number of seals of each type needed for that years graduating class. A form is attached for your use to request seals for the 2007 school year graduates. Your orders should be sent as soon as possible, but not later than May 6, 2007.
Local school boards determine the design and use of other seals. The Department can only make available those seals specifically outlined in this memorandum and does not have access to any other seals used by local boards.
If you have questions, please contact Ms. Patricia Hicks in the Division of Policy and Communications by phone at (804) 225-2400 or by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.