COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
P.O. BOX 2120
RICHMOND, VIRGINIA 23218-2120
SUPTS. MEMO NO. 010
March 28, 2008
Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.
Superintendent of Public Instruction
Collection of Data Relative to Compliance with the Standards of Quality and Other Certifications for 2007-2008
Each year as a part of the annual report to the General Assembly on the condition and needs of public education in Virginia, the Board of Education is required to report the level of compliance by local school boards with the requirements of the Standards of Quality (SOQ). This requirement is in response to 22.1-18 of the Code of Virginia. The information required to prepare the majority of this report is not available to the Department of Education from other sources. The complete text of the current standards can be found on our website at: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/administrators/superintendents_memos/2007/inf136b.pdf.
As was the case with the prior submissions, the department will use an electronic data collection instrument, using the Single Sign-On for Web-based Systems (SSWS), to collect your compliance data. The Standards of Quality Compliance application will be available in SSWS beginning on Monday, March 31, 2008.
The following suggestions are offered that will help to expedite your collection and reporting of SOQ Compliance information:
- A contact person in your division reports certain school information through the Educational Registry Application (ERA). To eliminate delays in entering SOQ Compliance data, please have your ERA contact person ensure that the name and contact information have been entered for the SOQ Compliance contact person.
- If the ERA contact person determines that information described above has been submitted incorrectly or that no information has been submitted, he or she must take the necessary steps to correct the information (using Web-based application directions) at least one day prior to entering data in the SOQ Compliance application.
As with other electronic data collection applications, anyone entering or reviewing SOQ Compliance data must have a login and password. Your school division SSWS account manager must assign a login and password to the following individuals:
1. The SOQ Compliance contact person
2. Any central office staff responsible for entering or reviewing data.
School divisions will be able to submit SOQ Compliance data to the department's database only if the above items are in place.
Additional information related to entering SOQ Compliance data:
- SOQ Compliance information is entered through the SSWS SOQ Compliance application.
- Instructions for answering questions and verification forms are available at the link below.
- In all instances, corrective action plans that may be required for issues of noncompliance are embedded in the SOQ Compliance application for use as the data are entered.
- The division's data must be submitted via SSWS to the Department of Education no later than May 16, 2008, in the manner prescribed by the directions on the website.
- After the division submits its data, the SOQ Compliance application window will lock. Superintendents needing to enter or correct data beyond that date must contact the Policy Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (804) 225-2092, to regain access to the SOQ Compliance application. After all data have been entered, the system will generate a report of your responses in PDF format that you may print and keep for your records or that you may save for future reference.
- Only the first page of the report must be signed by the division superintendent and chairman of the school board, and submitted to the Office of Policy no later than May 30, 2008. Please do not send the entire report to the department.
As was the case with the 2006-2007 submission, all divisions will be asked to certify compliance with requirements that are not part of the Standards of Quality. Please note that none of these certifications will be included in the Board's annual report for 2008 because the requirements are not part of the Standards of Quality.
If you have questions regarding this submission, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Policy and Communications at (804) 225-2092 or by e-mail to email@example.com. For assistance with the ERA application, please send questions to Resultshelp@doe.virginia.gov.
a. General Instructions - SOQ Compliance Submission Using SSWS (PDF)
b. Simplified Listing of Requirements in The Standards of Quality (PDF)