Superintendent's Memo #123-09

State seal, Commonwealth of Virginia

COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education

May 8, 2009

TO: Division Superintendents

FROM: Patricia I. Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction

SUBJECT: Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) Federal Funds for July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2010

The Virginia Department of Education is pleased to provide school divisions with the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) federal estimated fund allocations for school year 2009-2010.  Please refer to the attachments for estimated funding allocations.  All allocations are pending final federal allocations.

The grant award period is from July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2010; however, the funds will be distributed to the state in two allocations.  The first installment of federal funds (32 percent) will be made available on July 1, 2009.  The remaining 68 percent of the federal funds will be available on October 1, 2009.  Perkins federal funds must be expended or obligated by June 30, 2010.

Attachment A lists the total school year 2009-2010 Perkins fund estimated allocations for school divisions.

Perkins IV now requires that states distribute secondary funds under Section 131(a)(2) of the Act based on the Bureau of the Census estimate of the number of individuals aged 5 through 17, inclusive, who reside in the school district served by such local education agency and are from families below the poverty level for the preceding fiscal year, as determined on the basis of the most recent satisfactory data used under Section 1124(c)(1)(A) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) of 1965, compared to the total number of individuals who reside in the school districts served by all the local educational agencies in the state for such preceding fiscal year.

The state must use the Bureau of the Census updated “income year 2007” data reflecting 2007-2008 school district boundaries, which may be obtained at:

http://www.census.gov//did/www/saipe/district.html

Attachment B lists the 32 percent of the Perkins funds available to each school division beginning July 1, 2009, and the 68 percent of the remaining funds available on October 1, 2009.  All of these funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis and are available through June 30, 2010.

Because the state cannot expend more than the 32 percent of local allocations during the July 1 through September 30, 2009 time period, funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis for actual expenditures not to exceed the 32 percent allocation.

Reimbursement requests and object code line budgets for this program must be submitted through the Virginia Department of Education Single Sign-on Web Systems (SSWS) using the Online Management of Education Grant Awards (OMEGA) application.

All expenditures must be consistent with the approved local application for school year 2009-2010.  Perkins federal funds reimbursement requests for the school year 2009-2010 must be submitted through OMEGA no later than August 27, 2010.  These reimbursement requests must cover expenditures that were made during school year 2009-2010.   Documentation of any reimbursement claims must be retained in the school division and must be available for audit in accordance with state law governing the retention of financial records.

Any questions concerning the allocations may be addressed to W. Terry Dougherty, grants administrator, via e-mail at Terry.Dougherty@doe.virginia.gov or by telephone at (804) 225-3349.

PIW / EMR / TD / sgj

Attachments

a. Perkins Estimated Fund Allocations Total School Year 2009-2010 (PDF)
b. Perkins Funds Available Beginning July 1, 2009 (32 percent) and Funds Available on October 1, 2009 (68 percent) (PDF)