Superintendent’s Memo #309-12
COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education
November 16, 2012
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Patricia I. Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: Nominations for the 2013 Standards of Learning Item and Test Review Committees
The Office of Assessment Development is seeking nominations for the 2013 Standards of Learning (SOL) Item and Test Review Committees. The committee meetings will be held in Richmond, Virginia, according to the attached schedule. Approximately 15 members are needed for each of the 34 committees, and school divisions may nominate one or more representatives for each committee.
Committee members will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- grade-level experience and content area expertise;
- in-depth knowledge of the SOL;
- instructional/supervisory experience with students of varied learning styles, abilities, and aptitudes, including students with disabilities and students with limited English proficiency; and
- balanced regional representation.
Committee members selected for the 2013 SOL Item and Test Review Committees will be expected to:
- serve a one-year term and attend all daily scheduled meetings in their entirety (committee members may not be excused for other meetings or events unless there is a personal emergency);
- use technology provided, such as a laptop computer and electronic voting device;
- sign a Non-Disclosure/Conflict of Interest Agreement;
- examine test items to confirm a match with the SOL;
- review test items for appropriateness and fairness;
- examine test items for equity, bias and sensitivity issues, and stereotyping regarding gender, ethnic, religious, political, age, or socio-economic group;
- examine field test data for potential test items; and
- recommend whether items are to be included in the test item bank.
Committee members will be provided the following:
- reimbursement for meals and travel expenses in accordance with state travel policy and guidelines;
- honorarium of $125 per meeting day for committee members not under contract with a school division at the time of meetings; and
- certificate for recertification points (pending local approval).
All individuals who wish to serve on the 2013 committees, including those who have previously served, must submit an online application through the Assessment Committee Application Processing System (ACAPS). The application will require a professional reference and division approval. The procedure for submitting the online application is available at https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/acaps/. Completed applications are due to the Virginia Department of Education by February 15, 2013.
If you have questions, please contact the student assessment staff at Student_Assessment@doe.virginia.gov or by phone at (804) 225-2102.
Your continued support of this effort is greatly appreciated.
- 2013 Standards of Learning Item and Test Review Committee Schedule (PDF)