Superintendent’s Memo #128-13

State seal, Commonwealth of Virginia

COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education

May 17, 2013

TO:  Division Superintendents

FROM:  Patricia I. Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction

SUBJECT:  Estimated State Allocations under the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 for July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014

The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) recently received the estimated state allocations under the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education (CTE) Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) for school year 2013-2014.  Virginia received an overall 3.19 percent reduction ($764,914) for 2013-2014.  Please refer to the attachments for funding allocations.

The grant award period is from July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014; however, the funds will be distributed to the state in two allocations.  Approximately 26 percent of the grant funds will be made available on July 1, 2013.  The remaining 74 percent of the grant funds will be available on October 1, 2013.  There is no provision for Perkins funds to be carried over to the next school year, which means that all funds must be expended or encumbered by June 30, 2014.

Attachment A lists the school year 2013-2014 Perkins fund allocations for school divisions.  Please note the following federal regulations impacting the calculation of the school division allocations:

Attachment B lists the estimated 26 percent of the Perkins funds available to each school division beginning July 1, 2013, and the remaining 74 percent of the funds available on October 1, 2013.  All of these funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis and are available through June 30, 2014.  Because the state cannot expend more than the 26 percent of local allocations during the July 1 through September 30, 2013 time period, funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis for actual expenditures not to exceed the 26 percent allocation.

Reimbursement requests and object code line budgets for Perkins CTE funds must be submitted through the VDOE Single Sign-on for Web Systems (SSWS) using the Online Management of Education Grant Awards (OMEGA) application.  All expenditures must be consistent with the approved local plan and budget for school year 2013-2014.  Reimbursement requests must be submitted no later than September 30, 2014, and must cover expenditures that were made during school year 2013-2014 (through June 30, 2014).

Documentation of any reimbursement claims must be retained in the school division and must be available for audit in accordance with state regulations governing the retention of financial records.

If you have any questions, please contact W. Terry Dougherty, grants administrator, at Terry.Dougherty@doe.virginia.gov or by telephone at (804) 225-3349.

PIW/LBH/TD/sgj

Attachments:

  1. Total School Year 2013-2014 Perkins Fund Allocations (PDF)
  2. Perkins Funds Available Beginning July 1, 2013 (26 percent) and Funds Available on October 1, 2013 (74 percent) (PDF)