Superintendent’s Memo #237-13

State seal, Commonwealth of Virginia

COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education

September 6, 2013

TO:  Division Superintendents

FROM:  Patricia I. Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction

SUBJECT:  2013-2014 Title I, Part A, and Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, Allocations Under Provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)

Attached are the 2013-2014 Title I, Part A, and Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, federal allocations for each school division (Attachment A).  Due to federal sequestration, ESEA program allocations to Virginia for 2013-2104 have been reduced as compared to the previous year, which has resulted in reductions to allocations for many divisions.  As required in Section 1122(c) of ESEA, the variable hold-harmless provision was applied to the allocations by USED prior to awarding the funds to states.  The final school division allocations are based on the Title I formulas applied by the U.S. Department of Education (USED), and reflect adjustments made by the state educational agency to account for state-level set-asides and funding allotted for services provided through the private school services bypass agreement, as applicable.

The amount of the Title I, Part A, allocation available through the reimbursement process as of July 1, 2013, is 21.25 percent, and the remaining 78.75 percent is available as of October 1, 2013.  The total amount of the Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, allocation is available as of July 1, 2013, through the reimbursement process.  The terms of the grant awards are available in Attachments B (Title I, Part A) and C (Title I, Part D, Subpart 2).

The procedures and forms for submitting an application for ESEA funds are available at: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/federal_programs/esea/applications/index.shtml. The applications were due July 1, 2013.  For questions about the Title I, Part A, allocations or application process, please contact Marsha Granderson, grants and reports manager, at (804) 786-1993 or marsha.granderson@doe.virginia.gov.  For questions about the Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, allocations or application process, please contact Diane Jay, associate director, at (804) 225-2905 or diane.jay@doe.virginia.gov.

PIW/vt

Attachments:

  1. Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, Title I, Part A, and Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, 2013-2014 Grant Allocations (PDF)
  2. Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, Title I, Part A, Terms of Grant Award (PDF)
  3. Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, Terms of Grant Award (PDF)