Superintendent’s Memo #080-14
COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education
April 4, 2014
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Patricia I. Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: Professional Development Offerings for Technology Integration
As local school divisions continue to implement tablet and bring your own device (BYOD) initiatives, the need for relevant professional learning opportunities for educators is growing. Following are various offerings available to divisions.
- Microsoft, as part of its Microsoft in Learning program, provides at no cost the following face-to-face programs to divisions purchasing Microsoft computers. Divisions should contact Kevin Dean, Account Executive, with Microsoft Education at Kevin.Dean@microsoft.com to arrange for training.
- 1-day Teacher Academies
- Get More out of Office 2013 with Office Web Apps and SkyDrive
- The Ultimate Collaboration Tool: An Introduction to OneNote
- Reimagine Teaching and Learning with Windows 8.1
- In the Cloud: File Storage, Collaboration, and Communication with Office 365
Microsoft also provides online training in basic software uses at www.microsoft.com/digitalliteracy.
- Microsoft provides a full Teaching with Technology self-paced online course at http://www.pil-network.com/pd/twt/Overview. Their Partners in Learning Web site provides ongoing support and opportunities for learning from other teachers.
- Apple is including professional development seats for teachers and principals with each of their iPad bundles. Divisions should contact Bob Stewart, Account Executive, with Apple at 1-800-800-2775 x42166 for more details on this offer.
- Apple Learning Series courses are asynchronous, self-paced tutorials designed to help educators learn foundational skills to effectively use Apple products and apps for teaching and learning. These courses may be accessed at http://itunes.com/applelearningseries.
- Apple Distinguished Educators provide online and self-paced short courses on various topics such as techniques for reaching specific types of students, innovative assessment strategies, or using the camera in the iPad with students. These courses may be accessed at https://itunes.apple.com/us/institution/apple-distinguished-educators/id380379132.
- Google provides training at no cost (availability subject to change) to those who purchase Google Play licenses along with tablets. Please contact Danielle Kern at email@example.com for more details.
- Initial kick-off session for tablet initiative
- Teacher training for using Play for Education in the classroom
- The “How It Works” series on Google for Education provides just-in-time how-to videos for educators involved in a tablet project. The videos can be accessed at http://www.google.com/edu/tablets/#how-it-works.
- The Android EDU group on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105634960151510897925 provides a wide-ranging community of educational professionals who use the Android operating system as a teaching tool.
- Intel provides a grant to the Virginia Department of Education to provide online facilitated courses that focus on specific topics related to technology integration. Additional information about these can be found at http://www.doe.virginia.gov/support/technology/professional_dev/index.shtml. For questions, divisions may contact Jean Weller, educational technology specialist, at the Virginia Department of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thinking Critically with Data (use curriculum-based critical thinking and data analysis with students)
- Project-Based Approaches (foster self-directed learning)
- Assessment in 21st Century Classroom (develop student-centered assessment)
- Collaboration in the Digital Classroom (use online tools to assist collaboration in the classroom)
- Inquiry in the Science Classroom (develop students’ abilities in authentic inquiry activities)
- Designing Blended Learning (design your own blended learning experience for students)
Teachers interested in learning online with these same topics as self-paced courses may do so at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/education/k12/teach-elements.html.