Superintendent’s Memo #121-14
COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education
May 2, 2014
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: School Division Student GED® Verification Assistance – School Year 2013-2014
In previous years, through a process of coordination with GED® testing centers, school divisions have been able to determine those students in their divisions who have attained a GED® credential. With the implementation of the 2014 GED® test, this coordination source no longer exists. To remedy this loss, the Office of Adult Education and Literacy (OAEL) will, for school year 2013-2014, review and verify queries from school divisions concerning a student’s attainment of the GED® credential.
Specifics of this verification effort are:
- Where applicable, two lists may be provided to this office via the Dropbox feature in the Single Sign-On for Web System (SSWS) portal, the method of communication required by the Virginia Department of Education for the sharing of personally identifiable information. One list will reflect those students who left school between the beginning of school year 2013-2014 and December 31, 2013 (2002 GED® test). A second list will reflect those students who left school between January 1, 2014 (2014 GED® test), and the end of the 2013-2014 school year.
- Though school divisions may submit several iterations of these lists as data becomes available, it is requested that student lists be consolidated when possible.
- These lists should reflect the student’s full name and date of birth.
- These lists may be submitted upon receipt of this memorandum but must be submitted by August 15, 2014.
- OAEL will only verify a student’s having passed the GED® test. No other information can be provided.
- Due to confidentiality concerns, verification will only be forwarded to the school division superintendent or the superintendent’s designee.
Submission of these lists should be made to Dr. Michael Nusbaum via the SSWS portal. Attached to this memo is a list of SSWS account managers and assistant account managers for each school division. Please contact an account manager or assistant account manager in your division to submit verification request lists through the Dropbox feature.
For questions regarding verification, please contact Mike Nusbaum, specialist, via e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone at (804) 786-7644.
- SSWS Account Manager Contact List for School Divisions (Excel)