Superintendent’s Memo #024-15
COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education
February 6, 2015
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: Nominations for K-8 Music and K-8 Visual Arts Strategies and Correlations Development Committees
The Office of Humanities and Early Childhood is accepting nominations for two fine arts resource development committees. The purpose of these committees is to develop K-8 music and K-8 visual arts strategies and correlations that align to the 2013 Fine Arts Standards of Learning and the academic core Standards of Learning. Approximately 18 music educators and 18 visual arts educators will be selected for the two committees. The committee meetings will be held in Richmond, Virginia, as follows:
- K-8 Music Strategies and Correlations Development Workshop, July 13-16, 2015 and
- K-8 Visual Arts Strategies and Correlations Development Workshop, July 20-23, 2015.
Committee members will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- instructional training and experience in music or visual arts education;
- in-depth knowledge of the Fine Arts Standards of Learning; and
- balanced regional representation.
Committee members will be provided the following:
- reimbursement for meals and travel expenses in accordance with state travel regulations and guidelines;
- honorarium of $110 per day for four-day meetings in July and for three, off-site work days for committee members not under contract with a school division at the time of the meetings; and
- certificate of attendance for recertification points (pending local approval).
All nominees who wish to serve on a workshop must complete the Web-based application using the Instruction Committee Application Processing System (ICAPS). The Web-based application process requires a professional reference and division-level approval. Procedures for submitting the Web-based application are available at https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/icaps
. Completed applications should be submitted to the Virginia Department of Education using ICAPS by March 23, 2015.
If you have questions, please contact Cheryle C. Gardner, principal specialist of fine arts, Office of Humanities and Early Childhood, by e-mail at Cherry.Gardner@doe.virginia.gov or by telephone at (804) 225-2881.