COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education
December 18, 2015
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Virginia Board of Nursing (VBON) released revised Commonwealth of Virginia Regulations Governing the Practice of Nursing (Attachment A), 18VAC 90-20-10 et seq., Statutory Authority: §§54.1-2400 and Chapter 30 of Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia on December 2, 2015. The changes will impact all Virginia Department of Education approved practical nursing programs. Carefully review the attached resources that provide detailed information and guidance for implementing the revised regulations. Information highlighted in “blue” denotes a language change or clarification of the requirement and information highlighted in “red” indicates a new section or a new regulation.
Attachment B – Regulations Governing the Practice of Nursing PowerPoint
- Part I: 18VAC 90-20-10, provides additions and clarifications to definitions used throughout the regulations
- Part II: Article 1, 18VAC 90-20-40, refers to requirements for initial approval of a nursing education program, Article 2, 18VAC 90-20-133 outlines requirements for obtaining full approval for a nursing education program, and Article 3, 18VAC 90-20-151 provides requirements for passage rate on national examination for continued approval of nursing education by the VBON
Attachment C – A flowchart that identifies the process for preparing and submitting an “Application for Initial Approval of Nursing Education Program” and refers to the following sections of the regulations:
Part II, Article 1
- 18VAC 90-20-130, granting initial program approval
- 18VAC 90-20-131, denying or withdrawing initial approval
- 18VAC 90-20-132, causes for denial or withdrawal of nursing education program (initial) approval
Attachment D – A flowchart that identifies the process for “Continued Approval of Nursing Education Programs” and refers to the following sections of the regulations:
Part II, Article 2
- 18VAC 90-20-133, granting full program approval
- 18VAC 90-20-134, denying full program approval
- 18VAC 90-20-132, causes for denial or withdrawal of nursing education (continued) approval
Additional important revisions are related to program changes, instructional simulation requirements, faculty qualification and requests for faculty exceptions, review process for non-accredited programs, written agreements with cooperating agencies, and provisions for information to be published.
Under a separate cover, this information will be provided to career and technical education administrators and practical nursing program directors to ensure they are informed of these revisions and all programs comply with the revised regulations.
If you have any questions about the revised regulations, please contact Paula Saxby, Deputy Executive Director for the Virginia Board of Nursing at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Charlette Ridout, Senior Nursing Education Consultant for the Virginia Board of Nursing at email@example.com.
If you have any questions about the high school nursing education program offerings, please contact Michele R. Green-Wright, specialist for health and medical sciences and related clusters, Office of Career and Technical Education, at CTE@doe.virginia.gov or by telephone at (804) 225-3119.