Superintendent’s Memo #079-16

State seal, Commonwealth of Virginia

COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education

April 1, 2016

TO:  Division Superintendents

FROM:  Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction

SUBJECT: Estimated State Allocations under the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 for July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017

The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) recently received the estimated state allocations under the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education (CTE) Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) for school year 2016-2017.  Virginia’s federal fiscal year (FY) 2016 Perkins funding allocation is $24,019,623, which is an overall increase of 0.49 percent ($116,963) compared to the prior year.  Please refer to the attachments for division funding allocations.

The grant award period is from July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017; however, the funds will be distributed to the state in two allocations.  Approximately 29.6 percent will be available on July 1, 2016.  The remaining 70.4 percent will be available on October 1, 2016.  There is no provision for Perkins funds to be carried over to the next school year, which means that all funds must be expended or obligated by June 30, 2017.

Attachment A lists the school year 2016-2017 Perkins fund allocations for school divisions.  Please note the following federal regulations impacting the calculation of the school division allocations:

This computation must be based on the 2014 poverty estimates provided by the U.S. Census Bureau (in the column entitled “Relevant age 5 to 17 in families in poverty”), which are based on 2013-2014 school district boundaries, and which were obtained at: www.census.gov/did/www/saipe/downloads/sd14/index.html.  Seventy percent of local funding allocations are distributed based on this poverty data.

This computation was based on the most updated student enrollment data, reflecting the 2013-2014 school year, collected by the National Center for Education Statistics through the Common Core of Data (CCD) survey system, which was obtained at:  www.nces.ed.gov/ccd/pubagency.asp.  Thirty percent of the local funding allocations are distributed based on this school-age population data.

Attachment B lists the estimated 29.6 percent of the Perkins funds available to each school division beginning July 1, 2016, and the remaining 70.4 percent of the funds available on October 1, 2016.  All of these funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis and are available through June 30, 2017.  Because the state cannot expend more than the 29.6 percent of local allocations during the July 1 through September 30, 2016, time period, funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis for actual expenditures during this period not to exceed the 29.6 percent allocation.

Reimbursement requests and object code line budgets for Perkins CTE funds must be submitted through the VDOE Single Sign-on for Web Systems (SSWS) using the Online Management of Education Grant Awards (OMEGA) application.  All expenditures must be consistent with the approved local plan and budget for school year 2016-2017.  Reimbursement requests must be submitted no later than September 30, 2017, and must cover expenditures that were made during school year 2016-2017 (through June 30, 2017).

Documentation of any reimbursement claims must be retained in the school division and must be available for audit in accordance with state regulations governing the retention of financial records.

If you have any questions, please contact W. Terry Dougherty, grants administrator, at Terry.Dougherty@doe.virginia.gov or by telephone at (804) 225-3349.

SRS/LBH/jts

Attachments:

  1. Total School Year 2016-2017 Perkins Fund Allocations (PDF)
  2. Perkins Funds Available Beginning July 1, 2016 (29.6 percent) and Funds Available on October 1, 2016 (70.4 percent) (PDF)