July 15, 2016
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: 2016-2017 Student Record Collection
To comply with the information and reporting requirements for report cards and performance indicators of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), the Department of Education will be conducting the Student Record Collection for the 2016-2017 school year.
Beginning with the 2016-2017 school year, the Student Record Collection (SRC) will implement the following changes:
- A new data element to identify Foster Care Students has been added to satisfy the requirements of ESSA.
- The Military Connected data element definition has been updated to align with the federal definition.
- The codes for PK Experience and PK Funding Source have been updated.
- The Unexcused Absences data element definition has been updated.
- The Truancy Conference data element definition has been updated.
There are several webinars scheduled to review the changes for the upcoming 2016-2017 Student Record Collection. The following sessions have been scheduled:
- Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 1 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 10 a.m.
Additional information regarding the above scheduled webinars and the 2016-2017 data elements on the SRC can be found on the Virginia Department of Education’s Web site at: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/info_management/data_collection/student_record_collection/index.shtml.
Questions or comments relating to the Student Record Collection should be directed to Educational Applications at RESULTSHELP@doe.virginia.gov.