September 30, 2016
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: 2016 Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, Count of Children who are Neglected or Delinquent (N or D) in School Divisions
Attached are instructions and a report form to be used to complete the Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, count of children deemed neglected or delinquent in your school divisions. This annual report provides the U. S. Department of Education (USED) with current information on the location and number of children who live in local institutions for neglected or delinquent children, or who are in local adult correctional facilities. The information will be used by USED to calculate the 2017-2018 allocations for programs that serve neglected or delinquent children. The information collected locally should not include neglected or delinquent children enrolled in state-operated programs (SOP) or the Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) institutions.
Attachment A provides information about identifying eligible institutions and children, and instructions for completing the annual report count based on October 2016 caseload data. The count must reflect the following:
- the number of children, ages 5-17, inclusive, who live in:
- local institutions for neglected children as defined in section 1432(4)(A) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as amended;
- local institutions for delinquent children as defined in section 1432(4)(B) of the ESEA, as amended, or
- local adult correctional institutions as defined in section 1432(1) of the ESEA, as amended; and
- children who resided in an eligible institution for at least 30 consecutive days, at least one of which was in October 2016.
Attachment B is the annual report that school divisions will return to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). The report form may be adapted locally, as needed, to collect data from each eligible school, institution, or program in the school division. However, before returning the report to the VDOE, please aggregate the data from the individual reports. The final report should indicate the total number of neglected or delinquent children and youth for the school division (Section A) and the sources for this total (Section B).
All school divisions must complete Attachment B, even if numbers being reported are zero. Transmit the form electronically to Heather Warren, Executive Secretary, at Heather.Warren@doe.virginia.gov on or before Friday, November 4, 2016. If you have questions, please contact Diane Jay, Associate Director, at Diane.Jay@doe.virginia.gov or (804) 225-2905.
- Guidance for Identifying Eligible Institutions and Counting Children who are Neglected or Delinquent (PDF)
- Annual Report of Children in Local Institutions for Neglected or Delinquent Children and Adult Correctional Institutions (Word)