January 13, 2017
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: Announcing Competitive Grants for FY 2018 Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), Title II, Adult Education and Family Literacy (AEFLA) Awards
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, is pleased to announce multiyear, competitive grants for Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 authorized under Title II of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014, available to eligible providers within the Commonwealth of Virginia. This legislation creates a new vision and prepares an educated and skilled workforce that expands opportunities for workers and employers in Virginia.
The competitive grant funding allocations will be available July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018, for the following three programs:
- Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA)
- Corrections Education and Other Institutionalized Individuals (C&I)
- Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education (IELCE)
The Competitive Grant Application package may be downloaded from the VDOE website. An organization that has demonstrated effectiveness in providing adult education and literacy activities is eligible to apply for a grant(s). These organizations may include, but are not limited to:
- local educational agency;
- community-based organizations or faith-based organization;
- volunteer literacy organization;
- institution of higher education;
- public or private nonprofit agency;
- public housing authority;
- nonprofit institution that is not described in (a) through (g) and has the ability to provide adult education and literacy activities to eligible individuals;
- consortium or coalition of the agencies, organizations, institutions, libraries, or authorities described in (a) through (h); and
- partnership between an employer and an entity described in (a) through (i).
A WIOA Pre-Proposal Grants Awards Meeting will be held January 24, 2017, from 9 a.m. to 12 noon, at The Westin Richmond. In the event of an unforeseen emergency or inclement weather, the alternate date will be January 31, 2017, at the same time and location.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (804) 786-4206.