February 17, 2017
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: A Strategic Review of Technology Education
The Virginia Department of Education is pleased to share with school divisions, A Strategic Review of Technology Education: Preparing Students for Successful Transition to College and Careers. This review represents a culmination of state and national research and extensive input from stakeholders representing business and industry, secondary and postsecondary educators, students, and professional organizations. Additionally, it reinforces the need for secondary education to be responsive to current and future trends in technology and engineering education.
In summary, the following recommendations will require immediate attention to ensure consistent implementation of high-quality technology education programs across the Commonwealth:
- Change the official program name to Technology and Engineering Education.
- Update Virginia’s Technology Education Program around five levels: grades PK-5, grades 6-8, grades 9-12, adult education, and professional development for teachers and other school personnel.
- Increase teacher recruitment, preparation, and retention efforts.
- Maintain a cadre of Technology and Engineering Education leaders, which would work with the state Advisory Committee to provide continuous program guidance.
- Promote the importance of careers and opportunities available through Technology and Engineering Education.
- Increase program completion rates through the use of Virtual Virginia.
- Ensure all K-12 students develop a degree of technological literacy.
To achieve these goals, we need your continued support in encouraging teacher participation with both curriculum review teams and professional development opportunities.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Lynn Basham, Specialist for Technology Education and Related Clusters, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (804) 225-3119.