March 17, 2017
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: Early Childhood Special Education Program Administrator Spring Institute
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) will offer the Leadership in Effective and Developmentally-appropriate Services (LEADS) Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) Program Administrator Spring 2017 Institute. This one-day Institute will be April 26, 2017, in Charlottesville, Virginia from 8:15 a.m. – 4 p.m. The purpose is to deliver targeted technical assistance and professional development to school division leaders who act as the program administrator for ECSE programs. Since each division is different, this may include administrators, coordinators, specialists, lead teachers, or others serving in this capacity.
The LEADS-ECSE Program Administrator Spring Institute will provide support to school division leaders in the implementation of programs for preschool children with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) and the collection, reporting, and use of ECSE Indicator data. The Spring Institute will focus on Indicator 7, Preschool Outcomes. Specifically, participants will increase knowledge and skills about:
- Recommendations for developing and refining a consistent process to collect preschool outcomes data;
- Ways to increase accuracy of the collection and reporting of preschool outcomes data;
- Strategies to use the process and preschool outcomes data to improve ECSE programs; and
- Resources that support increased data quality.
The VDOE will assume the cost of registration and breakfast and lunch. Lodging for one night (April 25, 2017) may be provided for those who live more than 50 miles from the conference center. Those who need a hotel room must register by March 23, 2017.
Space is limited and school divisions are to register only one participant; however, two people from a division may register if the division has more than one person serving in the role of administrator for ECSE programs. Depending on the availability of space, it may be possible for additional participants to attend. Please designate one individual as your guaranteed participant and have him/her complete the online registration form. Provide the name, email address, and phone number of any additional participant to be placed on the wait-list. Registration for available additional participants will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis until all participant spaces are filled.
Divisions are strongly encouraged to identify the individual(s) who have primary responsibility for ECSE programs to attend this and future LEADS events.
- Registration – Registration is available at the following website: https://goo.gl/xN6mKW
- Institute Site – Boars Head Inn, 200 Ednam Drive, Charlottesville, Virginia 22903.
- Time – Registration and continental breakfast will be from 8:15 a.m. - 9 a.m. The Institute will begin at 9 a.m. and end by 4 p.m.
- Institute Materials – Participant materials and an agenda will be provided at the Institute.
- Meals – A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- Lodging – Lodging is provided by VDOE for one night (April 25, 2017) for those who live 50 miles or more from the conference center. Those who need a hotel room must register by March 23, 2017.
For questions regarding online registration, please contact Dionne Paul-Wiggins, Administrative Support, or Kim Sopko, LEADS Coordinator, at the TTAC at George Mason, by phone at (703) 993-4496 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Questions regarding the content of the LEADS-ECSE Program Administrator Spring 2017 Institute should be directed to Dawn Hendricks, Early Childhood Special Education Coordinator by email at Dawn.Hendricks@doe.virginia.gov.