April 21, 2017
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: Announcing Summer Professional Development Institute for Technology and Engineering Educators
The Virginia Department of Education, in collaboration with Old Dominion University, is pleased to offer the 2017 Summer Professional Development Institute for technology and engineering educators. The Institute will be conducted in Norfolk, Virginia, on July 24-27.
Featured 2017 Institute workshops:
- Systems and Controls-This is a PDF document. (PDF) - School teams have the opportunity to participate in the four-day workshop with Dr. Ron Todd, Chief Executive Officer at DWL Associates, New Jersey, and Jonathan Gershon, Trainer with the Design and Technology Association, United Kingdom. Preferably, teams may consist of one middle school instructional specialist, one middle school technology education teacher, and one elementary school teacher.
- Engineering Design-This is a PDF document. (PDF) - High school engineering teachers have the opportunity to participate in the four-day training workshop with an International Technology and Engineering Educators Association (ITEEA) STEM Center for Teaching and Learning trainer to learn about the Engineering Design instructional materials available.
- Design and Modeling-This is a PDF document. (PDF) - Two half-day workshops will be offered for drawing and design course teachers focusing on incorporating modeling for 3D printers. Sponsored by 3D Herndon.
- Backwards Design Planning-This is a PDF document. (PDF) - A one-day workshop for curriculum and instructional practices exploring the essentials of backward-design planning methods and multidisciplinary thematic focus of effective unit planning. Available for all teachers. Jorge Valenzuela, Richmond City Public Schools.
- K-5 Strategies for Implementing Children’s Engineering-This is a PDF document. (PDF) - A five-day workshop that can be taken for graduate credit. Learn to use design, engineering, and technology instructional resources to enhance children’s attainment of the Virginia Standards of Learning in science, mathematics, history and social sciences and language arts. Sponsored by Virginia Children’s Engineering Council and James Madison University.
Instructional resource materials will be provided for each of these workshops-This is a PDF document. (PDF). Additional workshops for microcontrollers, mechatronics, robotics, digital visualization, serious games, and other related topics will be available. Details for industry tours are forthcoming.
The Institute registration is open and teachers are encouraged to preregister early, as workshop space is limited. Participants are responsible for travel-related expenses and lodging, if needed. Meals are included in registration. This is an allowable expenditure of federal Perkins funds as long as it is included in the approved local plan. Participants should bring a laptop for use at workshops. Some workshops require software to be preloaded on the laptop.
If you have any questions, please contact Kenneth Noonan, VTEEA President, at email@example.com or by telephone at (804) 768-6156; or Dr. Lynn Basham, Specialist for Technology Education and Related Clusters, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (804) 225-3119.