|DATE:||June 16, 2017|
|FROM:||Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
New Permanent Agreement to Participate in the School Nutrition Programs Effective SY 2017-2018 and Annual SNPWeb Application Packet
Beginning in school year (SY) 2017-2018, with the implementation of the new web-based SNPWeb system, the Annual Agreement to participate in the National School Lunch (NSLP), School Breakfast (SBP), Special Milk, Seamless Summer Option (SSO), and Afterschool Snack Programs (ASP) will not require an annual renewal with the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), but will become a permanent agreement to participate. The permanent agreement will require updating only if participation in the various programs changes. The permanent agreement document signed by the division superintendent and the VDOE must be maintained on file in the school division and must be readily accessible during federal reviews.
The annual data on program participation and operations captured in the SNPWeb system will no longer be referred to as the Agreement but rather the Application Packet. This will continue to be required to be updated annually in order to participate in the various school nutrition programs. The new SNPWeb system is currently available for data entry for the 2017-2018 annual application. Trainings were conducted in each region in May and June 2017 on the new SNPWeb application process.
Submission of the Annual Application Packet is due to VDOE by July 1, 2017. Claims for reimbursement cannot be paid for school year 2017-2018 until the SNPWeb annual application has been submitted and approved by VDOE.
The new SNPWeb system offers new functionality that was not in the old system. A few of the new or improved features include:
- Ability to upload customized documents (such as meal applications, notification letters, production records, etc.) directly into SNPWeb eliminating the need to mail or email documents;
- Upload of claim data from the divisions point of sale system directly into SNPWeb, improving accuracy and eliminating the need for manual data entry of claims;
- Automated email notifications to users of the status of the submitted application packet;
- New modules to automate the 1) fresh fruit and vegetable application and claiming procedures, 2) Community Eligibly Provision Data collections and applications, 3) Federal Administrative Review Program forms and process, 4) Tracking for professional development to meet the USDA standards, and 5) reporting Food Safety inspections, as examples.
Additional information and training regarding reports and filing of claims for reimbursement will be provided in August 2017.
Attachment A contains additional guidance and information to assist school divisions with specific forms and documentation related to:
- Updates to Prototype Meal Applications, Letters, and Forms
- Eligibility for Meal Benefits and Initial Carryover Eligibility
- Meal Prices for Students and Adults
- Revenue from Non-Program Foods (À la Carte)
Questions regarding the annual agreement or SNPWeb Application Packet may be directed to the school nutrition program specialist assigned to your division or to the Office of School Nutrition Programs staff at (804) 225-2074.