|DATE:||June 30, 2017|
|FROM:||Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
2017-2018 Virginia School Safety Survey
The Virginia School Safety Survey and the division level survey will begin on Monday, August 7, 2017, and will end on Friday, September 29, 2017, at 5 p.m. In accordance with Virginia Code § 22.1-279.8, public schools in Virginia are required to complete an annual School Safety Audit. As in the previous school year, divisions Superintendents are required to:
- Disseminate Safety Audit information to school principals within their division. (Safety Audit information may be found at https://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/virginia-center-school-and-campus-safety/virginia-school-safety-audit-program);
- Access the web-based Survey Manager System to update school listings and contact information, Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety (VCSCS) will send an email with your division’s username and password by July 1;
- Certify the submittal of each schools’ crisis management plans (by August 31);
- Certify the completion of each schools’ safety inspection checklist (by August 31);
- Certify the completion of each schools’ safety audit (by August 31);
- Certify the submittal of each school’s safety survey (by September 29); and
- Complete the division level safety survey (by September 29).
School and Division Safety Survey Information
The Virginia School Safety Survey website will serve to assist principals in completing the survey. It is important for principals to review the survey in advance. This website also will aid Superintendents or their designees in managing the administration of the school survey within their divisions and will provide additional information and resources.
Questions regarding the survey may be directed to:
Donna Michaelis at Donna.Michaelis@dcjs.virginia.gov; telephone (804) 371-6506;
James Christian at James.Christian@dcjs.virginia.gov; telephone (804) 786-430; or
Jessica Smith at Jessica.Smith@dcjs.virginia.gov; telephone (804) 786-5367.