|DATE:||August 18, 2017|
|FROM:||Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
The Early Childhood Education Leaders Collaborative Institutes
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) in collaboration with the Head Start Collaboration Office will offer the Early Childhood Education Leaders Collaborative Institutes. The purpose of these Institutes is to deliver targeted technical assistance and professional development to leaders in early childhood programs in the educational arena. This includes:
- School division leaders who act as the program administrator for Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) programs,
- School division leaders or local agency leaders who act as the program coordinator for the Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) or the Virginia Preschool Initiative Plus (VPI+) programs, and
- Program leaders who act as the Disabilities Specialist for Head Start programs.
The Institutes will focus on building and leading high-quality early childhood inclusive programs. Specifically, participants will:
- Learn about Regulations and state initiatives related to increasing and improving inclusive practices for children with disabilities;
- Discuss key challenges to implementing inclusive programs and plan for solutions;
- Learn about successful division and program strategies and engage in peer-to-peer discussions about quality inclusive programs; and
- Increase knowledge of tools and resources to support the development of program-level policies and procedures that promote preschool inclusion.
Three Institutes will be repeated throughout the state. Participants will be assigned to an Institute location based on the Department of Education Superintendent’s Regions. The dates, locations, and designated participants for each Institute are as follows:
- Thursday, October 26, 2017 – Wytheville, Virginia
- Participants: Region 6 and Region 7
- Monday, November 6, 2017 – Charlottesville, Virginia
- Participants: Region 4, Region 5, and Region 8
- Thursday, November 9, 2017 – Williamsburg, Virginia
- Participants: Region 1, Region 2, and Region 3
The VDOE will assume the cost of registration, breakfast, and lunch. Space is limited; therefore, the following individuals are designated to register and attend:
- One school division leader who acts as the program administrator for ECSE programs,
- One school division or local agency leader who acts as the program coordinator for the VPI program,
- One program leader who acts as the Disabilities Specialist for the Head Start program, and
- Members of the school division’s VPI+ leadership team to include the VPI+ coordinator, coach, and family engagement coordinator.
If more than one person shares the designated role, it is the responsibility of the team to determine who will attend. Further, it is the responsibility of those who attend to work with team members not in attendance and share information and resources following the event.
Registration – Each individual planning to attend is to register him- or herself. Please do not register another person. The Training and Technical Assistance Center (TTAC) at George Mason University will manage registration. Registration closes on October 6, 2017. Please only register at the Institute designated for your program location. (Click on ‘Registration’ to register. Click on ‘Region’ to be sure you are registering for the correct location.)
- Registration for Wytheville, VA for participants in Region 6 and Region 7
- Registration for Charlottesville, VA for participants in Region 4, Region 5, and Region 8
- Registration for Williamsburg, VA for participants in Region 1, Region 2, and Region 3
Time - Registration and continental breakfast is 8:45-9:30 a.m. The conference is 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Institute Materials - Participant materials and agenda will be provided at the Institutes.
Meals - A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided at the Institutes.
Travel Expenses – School divisions are encouraged to cover participants’ travel expenses (e.g., mileage, lodging if applicable) based on state travel rates. The VDOE will not provide reimbursement for participants’ travel expenses.
For questions regarding online registration, please contact Dionne Paul-Wiggins, Administrative Support, or Kim Sopko, LEADS Coordinator, at the TTAC at George Mason, by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (703) 993-4496.
For questions related to Early Childhood Special Education participation contact Dawn Hendricks, Early Childhood Special Education Specialist at Dawn.Hendricks@doe.virginia.gov; (804) 225-2675. For questions related to VPI or VPI+ participation contact Mark Allan, Early Childhood Education Project Manager, at Mark.Allan@doe.virginia.gov; (804) 225-3665. For questions related to Head Start participation contact Aleta Lawson, Director – Head Start Collaboration Office, at Aleta.Lawson@dss.virginia.gov; (804) 726-7468.