DATE: September 8, 2017
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT:

2017-2018 Title I, Part A, and Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, Allocations under Provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)


Attached are the final 2017-2018 Title I, Part A, and Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, federal allocations for each school division (Attachment A). The final school division allocations are based on the Title I formulas applied by the U.S. Department of Education (USED) and reflect adjustments made by the Virginia Department of Education to account for state-level set-asides and funding allotted for services provided through the private school services bypass agreement, as applicable. As required in Section 1122(c) of ESEA, the variable hold-harmless provision was applied to the allocations by USED prior to awarding the funds to states.

The amount of the Title I, Part A, allocation available through the reimbursement process as of July 1, 2017, is 31 percent, and the remaining 69 percent is available as of October 1, 2017. The total amount of the Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, allocation is available as of July 1, 2017, through the reimbursement process. The terms of the grant awards are available in Attachments B (Title I, Part A) and C (Title I, Part D, Subpart 2).

The procedures and forms for submitting an application for ESEA funds are available at: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/federal_programs/esea/applications/index.shtml. The applications were due July 1, 2017. For questions about the Title I, Part A, allocations or application process, please contact Shyla Vesitis, Title I Coordinator, at shyla.vesitis@doe.virginia.gov or (804) 225-3711. For questions about the Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, allocations or application process, please contact Tiffany Frierson, Title I Specialist, at Tiffany.Frierson@doe.virginia.gov or (804) 371-2682.

SRS/ls

Attachments:

  1. Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, Title I, Part A, and Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, 2017-2018 Grant Allocations (PDF)
  2. Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965,Title I, Part A, Terms of Grant Award (PDF)
  3. Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965,Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, Terms of Grant Award (PDF)