|DATE:||December 15, 2017|
|FROM:||Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Payment of the Approved Alternative Breakfast Service Models for 2017-2018
The fiscal year 2018 state budget provides $1.074 million in funding to support increasing the number of school breakfast meals served through an alternative service model, referred to as Breakfast after the Bell (BaB), or through a traditional service model. In September 2017, school divisions were notified of the schools approved to receive BaB funding. Each approved school will receive a reimbursement of $.05 per breakfast meal.
The funds will be paid via Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) on a monthly recurring basis through June 30, 2018. Payments will begin on December 31, 2017. The project code for the funds is APE40620.
- School divisions must report the number of breakfast meals served for each school as part of their monthly School Nutrition Program (SNP) Web Claim. All claims must be submitted in a timely manner.
- School divisions that receive state funds for alternative breakfast service models will be required to evaluate the educational impact of the models implemented and submit data to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) by June 1, 2018, for the statewide evaluation report to the Governor and the General Assembly. A reporting template will be provided by VDOE to all recipient schools and school divisions in May 2018.
- Detailed school level data to be submitted to VDOE will include:
- Student attendance and tardiness,
- Office discipline referrals,
- Student visits to the school nurse,
- Teacher’s responses to the impact of the pilot, and
- The financial impact on the division’s school nutrition program.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact the school nutrition program specialist assigned to your school division or email questions to SNPPolicy@doe.virginia.gov.