|DATE:||December 15, 2017|
|FROM:||Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Training on Accommodations for English Learner (EL) Students
As part of the Virginia Department of Education's ongoing effort to ensure that appropriate accommodations are provided to English Learners (ELs) taking the Standards of Learning (SOL) assessments, training on the provision of accommodations to EL students will be offered in two locations in January 2018.
Participants in this training will gain a thorough understanding of:
- Accommodations available to EL students for SOL assessments;
- The role of the EL committee;
- EL student characteristics;
- Evidence-based decision making when determining appropriate accommodations for EL students for SOL assessments;
- The assignment of accommodations to EL students for SOL assessments;
- The implementation of accommodations for EL students for SOL assessments; and
- The documentation of accommodations provided to EL students.
This training will be held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at each of the following locations:
- Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Newport News Public Schools
Newport News Waterworks
700 Town Center Drive
Newport News, VA 23606
- Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Roanoke City Public Schools
William Ruffner Professional Development Center
3601 Ferncliff Avenue, NW
Roanoke, VA 24017
English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers, general education teachers, school test coordinators, and building administrators are encouraged to register. Additionally, Title III Coordinators and Division Directors of Testing may also register to attend. Participation at each training site is limited to 50 participants. Training materials, breakfast, and a working lunch will be provided for all participants. The costs of travel will be the responsibility of the participants. To register for this training, please complete this brief online registration survey. This registration survey will remain open until Thursday, January 11, 2018.
If you have questions, please contact the assessment staff by email at email@example.com or by phone at (804) 225-2102.