Standards of Accreditation
Virginia Board of Education's Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia are designed to ensure that an effective educational program is established and maintained in Virginia's public schools. The accreditation standards:
- Provide an essential foundation of educational programs of high quality in all schools for all students.
- Encourage continuous appraisal and improvement of the school program for the purpose of raising student achievement.
- Foster public confidence.
- Assure recognition of Virginia's public schools by other institutions of learning.
- Establish a means of determining the effectiveness of schools.
Standards For Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia
The Board of Education’s 2017 Standards of Accreditation (SOA) support continuous improvement for all schools, and college, career and civic readiness for all students. The revisions include graduation requirements aligned with the Profile of a Virginia Graduate and school accreditation standards that include new measures of quality and performance.
- 2017 Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia – These regulations — effective in fall 2018 — were approved by the Board in November 2017.
Overview of Changes to the Standards of Accreditation in Recent Years
- Effective January 11, 2018-This is a PDF document.
- Effective October 8, 2015-This is a PDF document.
- Effective December 3, 2014-This is a PDF document.
- Effective August 29, 2012-This is a PDF document.
- Guidance for the Determination of the New Accreditation Rating: “Partially Accredited” (PDF)
- Guidelines for Graduation Requirements: Local Alternative Paths to Standard Units of Credit (Alternatives to the 140- Clock-hour Requirement) – For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 271-15
- Guidance Document Governing Certain Provisions of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) (PDF)
- School Accreditation Ratings
- Graduation Requirements – Information on college and career readiness, diploma requirements, coursework, assessments, and the Academic and Career Plan.
Standards of Accreditation Archives
Documents are PDF files. Standards from 1970 through 1992 are scanned documents and will take longer to download.