State special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC)
News & Announcements
SSEAC Statement on Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC) Statement on Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)-This is a Word document. – Provided by the Department of Special Education and Student Services. This document was created to serve as an additional resource for school divisions, parents, and stakeholders with information related to COVID-19
The State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC) is organized and functions in accordance with state and federal requirements. The Committee's functions include the following:
- defining plans for identifying children with disabilities;
- formulating and developing long-range plans that will provide services for children with disabilities;
- determining the unmet needs of children with disabilities within the state;
- developing priorities and strategies for meeting identified needs of children with disabilities;
- reviewing and making public comment on the State Improvement Plan, the procedures for the distribution of funds under Part B of IDEA, and any rules or regulations proposed by the state regarding the education of children with disabilities;
- review findings and decisions regarding due process procedures for parents and children;
- advise the state in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in Federal monitoring reports; and
- prepare and submit an annual report to the Virginia Board of Education.
The SSEAC is composed of representatives of stakeholder groups as prescribed by IDEA. A majority of the members must be individuals with a disability or parents of children with a disability eligible to receive services under IDEA. Members are appointed by the Virginia Board of Education. Members serve without compensation; however members are reimbursed for expenses incurred while attending meetings. See Committee Members-This is a Word document..
The activities of the SSEAC are governed by the Board of Education by-laws. The SSEAC year runs from July 1 to June 30. Several subcommittees are established to help conduct the work of the committee. Members are assigned to a subcommittee and a member of the executive committee chairs each subcommittee. Department of Education staff members are available to each of the Subcommittees to provide technical assistance.
The SSEAC meets in regular session four times a year. Each regular session generally consists of one full day meeting followed by a half-day meeting the next day. Subcommittees and the executive committee meet as necessary to fulfill their responsibilities. Each regular meeting includes a public comment period.
The State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC) welcomes public comment at each of its regular meetings. See the Guidelines for Public Comment-This is a Word document. for information about SSEAC policies and procedures for submitting comments. Speakers or those wishing to attend who need special accommodations, including an interpreter, must request needed accommodations at least two weeks (10 business days) prior to the meeting. For questions or more information regarding SSEAC, please contact the Virginia Department of Education via email at SSEAC@doe.virginia.gov or by phone at (804) 225-2402, or via email at Hank.Millward@doe.virginia.gov or by phone at (804) 371-0525.
Meetings are held in the Richmond area. The specific location of each meeting is included on the agenda for each meeting.
|March 12-13, 2020||Agenda-This is a Word document.|
|July 16-17, 2020|
|October 8-9, 2020
|December 3-4, 2020|
SSEAC meeting information for previous years.
- 2019-This is a Word document.
- 2018-This is a Word document.
- 2017-This is a Word document.
- 2016-This is a PDF document.
- 2015-This is a PDF document.
- 2014-This is a PDF document.
- 2013-This is a PDF document.
- 2012-This is a PDF document.
- 2011-This is a PDF document.
- 2010-This is a PDF document.
- 2009-This is a PDF document.
- 2008-This is a PDF document.
- 2007-This is a PDF document.
- 2006-This is a PDF document.
- 2005-This is a PDF document.
- 2004-This is a PDF document.
- 2003-This is a PDF document.
- 2002-This is a PDF document.
- 2001-This is a PDF document.
- 2000-This is a PDF document.
Local Special Education Advisory Committees (LSEAC)
Virginia school divisions are required to have a special education advisory committee. The purpose of the committee is to provide an opportunity for parents and other school board appointees to have a voice in the way that school divisions provide services to students with disabilities. LSEAC members are appointed by local school boards. The committees provide reports and recommendations to their school boards. More about Local Special Education Advisory Committees.