Virginia General Assembly & Education Legislation
The Virginia General Assembly convenes in January. VDOE tracks and reports on proposed legislation, bills and resolutions of interest to school superintendents and division personnel. The history of any bill or resolution, all amendments, and the text of the legislation are available by clicking on the bill or resolution number in the tracking reports provided below.
All legislation becomes effective in July unless otherwise indicated. Any information about actions that may or must be taken by local school boards is included in the summary of each bill.
At the conclusion of the General Assembly, final tracking reports are compiled. These will reflect the final action on education-related legislation tracked by VDOE.
General Assembly Education Bills & Resolutions
General Assembly Legislative Tracking – 2014 Weekly Reports
More information on Virginia's Legislative Information System
Previous Years' Legislative Tracking Reports
- 2013 | Bills | Resolutions |
- 2012 | Bills | Resolutions |
- 2011 | Bills | Resolutions | Final Report
- 2010 | Bills | Resolutions |
- 2009 | Bills | Resolutions |
- 2008 | Bills | Resolutions |
- 2007 | Bills | Resolutions |
- 2006 | Bills | Resolutions |
- 2005 | Bills | Resolutions |
- 2004 | Bills | Resolutions | Final Report (PDF)
Opinions of the Attorney General of Virginia Pertaining to K-12 Education
Section 2.2-505 of the Code of Virginia authorizes the Attorney General of Virginia to give advice and render official advisory opinions under certain condition. More about Attorney General Opinions Pertaining to K-12 Education (PDF), includes opinions issued from 1996 - present.
State and Local Government Conflict of Interests Act
The Code of Virginia, Title 2.2 – Chapter 31, State and Local Government Conflict of Interests Act
Code of Virginia
- Code of Virginia text is available through Virginia’s Legislative Information System.
- Regulations of the Board of Education.
- Hard copy of The Virginia School Law Deskbook, 2011-2012 Edition is available for purchase. The volume combines the Virginia school laws (Title 22.1 of the Code of Virginia); frequently referenced federal laws, including IDEA and NCLB; and the Regulations of the Board of Education. The purchase price is $52.00 per copy, plus shipping and handling. Place your order now. To order the publication by phone, call (877) 394-8826.