Board Meeting Agenda - February 21, 2008
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Election of Officers: President and Vice President of the Board of Education,
Approval of Minutes of the January 10, 2008, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition presented to Virginia’s 2007 Milken Family Foundation National Educator
- Kimberly L. Colbert, biology and life science teacher, Fred D. Thompson Middle School,
Richmond City Public Schools, and
- Amy Macaleer, mathematics teacher, Battlefield High School, Prince William County Public
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Report from the Board of Education’s 2007-2008 Student Advisory Committee
- First Review of Rescinding Current English Language Proficiency (ELP) Standards of Learning and Approval of World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) ELP Standards
- First Review of the Proposed Standards for the Governor’s Career and Technical Education Exemplary Standards Awards
- Report from the Board of Education’s Charter School Application Review Committee on a Proposed Public Charter School Application from the Patrick Henry School of Science and Arts in Richmond, Virginia
- Report on Status of 2008 General Assembly Actions
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Immediately Following Adjournment of Business Session:
- Public Hearing: Career and Technical Education State 5-Year Plan
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, February 20, 2008. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to insure that the Board hears from different points of view on anyparticular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.