Board Meeting Agenda - April 24, 2008
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the March 19, 2008, Meeting of the Board
- Recognition of Virginia’s recipient of the Virginia Education Association’s 2007-2008 Award
for Teaching Excellence, Mr. Douglas R. Graney, Social Studies Teacher at Herndon High
School in Fairfax County Public Schools. Mr. Graney is also the recipient of the Horace Mann
National Education Association Foundation Award for Teaching Excellence. This presentation
will be made in conjunction with the Virginia Education Association.
Report from the Board of Education’s Committee on School and Division
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Applications for Literary Fund Loans
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Fund or Placement on a Waiting List
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
- First Review of the Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Amend and Consolidate Certain Board of Education Regulations
- First Review of Proposed Amendment to the Regulations Governing the Reduction of State Aid When the Length of the School Term is Below 180 Teaching Days or 990 Teaching Hours (8VAC 20-521-10 seq.) Under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act
- Report from the Board of Education’s 2007-2008 Student Advisory Committee
- First Review of Approval of Local School Division Remedial Plans
- First Review of a Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Covington City Public Schools
- First Review of the Proposal to Establish a Governor’s Career and Technical Academy for Renewable Resources and Agricultural Sciences in Halifax County
- First Review of Virginia’s Definition of School Readiness
- First Review of a Protocol for the State-Directed Investigation of Testing Irregularities
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the Virginia Grade Level Alternative (VGLA) in Science
- First Review of No Child Left Behind Differentiated Accountability Pilot Proposal
- First Review of the Virginia Standards for the Professional Practice of Teachers
- Statewide Performance Report for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Community College System, as a Sub-recipient of Perkins Funds from the Department of Education
- Report on 2006-2007 Supplemental Educational Services Evaluation
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, April 23, 2008. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to insure that the Board hears from different points of view on anyparticular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.