Board Meeting Agenda - June 19, 2008
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the May 21-22, 2008, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution presented to Princess Moss, President of the Virginia Education Association,
- Resolution presented to the 2008 Virginia Teacher of the Year: Thomas R. Smigiel, Jr.,
Norview High School, Norfolk City Public Schools
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant Approval to Requests to Add New Endorsement Programs at Emory and Henry College; Liberty University; Old Dominion University; Shenandoah University; Sweet Briar College; and The University of Virginia’s College at Wise
- First Review of Proposed Timeline for the 2008 Review of the Standards of Quality
- First Review of a Proposal to Establish a Governor’s Career and Technical Academy: The Governor’s Career and Technical Academy in Arlington
- First Review of a Proposal to Establish a Governor’s Career and Technical Academy: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics for Lifelong Initiatives for Education (STEM for LIFE)
- First Review of Pupil Transportation Specifications for School Buses
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday,
June 18, 2008. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken,
and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda
depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to insure that the Board hears from different points of view on anyparticular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.