Board Meeting Agenda - July 17, 2008
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the June 19, 2008, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition presented to school divisions recently receiving the SACS/CASI District Accreditation: Hopewell City Public Schools, Smyth County Public Schools, King and Queen County Public Schools, and Manassas Park City Public Schools
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Applications for Literary Fund Loans
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
- First Review of the Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Promulgate Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Day Schools for Students with Disabilities and Educational Programs Offered in Group Homes and Residential Facilities in the Commonwealth and to Repeal Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Day Schools for Students with Disabilities (8 VAC 20-670-10 et seq.)
- First Review of a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Repeal the Rules Governing Fees and Charges, 8 VAC 20-370-10 and Add New Regulations Governing Fees and Charges as a Section to the Proposed Regulations Governing Local School Boards and School Divisions, 8 VAC 20-720-10 et seq.
- First Review of Proposed New Regulations Governing Public Participation (8 VAC 20- 11-10) and Repeal of Public Participation Guidelines (8 VAC 20-10-10 et seq.) Under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act
- Final Review of Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for 2008 History and Social Science Standards of Learning
- Final Review of Pupil Transportation Specifications for School Buses
- First Review of a Proposal to Establish a Governor’s Career and Technical Academy: Stafford Academy for Technology
- First Review of a Proposal to Establish a Governor’s Career and Technical Academy: The Loudoun Governor’s Career and Technical Academy
- First Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on Board of Education Advisory Committees: Advisory Committee on Adult Education and Literacy, State Special Education Advisory Committee, Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education, Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted, and the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure
- First Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2009 Calendar Year
- Report from the State Special Education Advisory Committee Concerning Proposed Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia
- Report from the Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted on the Proposed Regulations Governing Educational Services for Gifted Students (8 VAC 20-40- 30 et seq.)
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Immediately Following Adjournment of Business Session:
- Public Hearing on Proposed Revisions to Regulations Governing Jointly Owned and Operated Schools and Jointly Operated Programs (8 VAC 20-281-10 et seq.)
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Richmond Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, November 19, 2008. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to insure that the Board hears from different points of view on anyparticular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.