Board Meeting Agenda - Sept. 25, 2008
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the July 17, 2008, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
- Final Review of Proposed New Regulations Governing Public Participation (8 VAC 20- 11-10) and Repeal of Public Participation Guidelines (8 VAC 20-10-10 et seq.) Under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act
- Final Review of the Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia (8 VAC 20-81-10 et seq.)
- First Review of Requests from Three School Divisions for Ratings of Conditionally Accredited
- First Review of Requests for Continuation of the Rating of Conditionally Accredited from Eight School Divisions
- Report on Petersburg City School’s Implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding and Findings of the Division-Level Review
- First Review of the 2007-2008 Annual Report on Public Charter Schools in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- First Review of Plan for Increasing Number of Students Obtaining Industry Certification and Licensures
- Final Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2009 Calendar Year
- First Review of Proposed Revised Guidelines and Standards of Learning for Family Life Education as required by the 2008 General Assembly
- First Review of the Standards of Quality
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Immediately Following Adjournment of Business Session:
- Public Hearing on the Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing Educational
Services for Gifted Students
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 7:00 p.m. at the Willow Oaks Country Club on
Wednesday, September 24, 2008. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner.
No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the
times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to insure that the Board hears from different points of view on anyparticular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.