Board Meeting Agenda - OCT. 23, 2008
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Highlight on a New Reading Resource for Virginia’s Parents and Communities
Approval of Minutes of the September 25, 2008, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Applications for Literary Fund Loans
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Fund or Placement on a Waiting List
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure to Revise the Definitions of At-Risk of Becoming Low-Performing and Low- Performing Institutions of Higher Education in Virginia Required by Title II of the Higher Education Act (HEA)
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure to Approve the Accountability Measurement of Partnerships and Collaborations Based on PreK-12 School Needs Required by the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure to Grant Approval to Requests to Add New Endorsement Programs at George Mason University, James Madison University, Liberty University, Longwood University, Lynchburg College, Norfolk State University, Randolph College, Regent University, Roanoke College, Shenandoah University, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, and Virginia Commonwealth University
- First Review of the "Advancing Virginia’s Leadership Agenda" Guidance Document: Standards of Indicators for School Leaders and Documentation for the Principal of Distinction (Level II) Administration and Supervision Endorsement
- Final Review of Proposed Revised Guidelines and Standards of Learning for Family Life Education as Required by the 2008 General Assembly
- First Review of a Proposal to Develop Standards of Learning for a New High School Economics and Personal Finance Course
- First Review of Proposed Revised Mathematics Standards of Learning
- First Review of the Annual Report for State-Funded Remedial Programs
- First Review of the 2007-2008 Annual Report on Regional Alternative Education Programs
- First Review of the Board of Education’s 2008 Annual Report on the Conditions and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia\
- Second Review of the Standards of Quality
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Business Meeting of the Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind Foundation
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Richmond Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, October 22, 2008. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to insure that the Board hears from different points of view on anyparticular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.