Board Meeting Agenda - Nov. 20, 2008
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the October 23, 2008, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition presented to the Sorenson Institute for its Outstanding Youth Leadership Program
- Resolutions of Recognition presented to the Clerks of the Senate of Virginia and the Virginia House of Delegates for their Outstanding Page Programs
- Recognition of Virginia's 2009 Regional Teachers of the Year and the 2009 Virginia Teacher of the Year
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- First Review of Revisions to Regulations Governing Pupil Transportation
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Governing the Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan program Requirements and Selection Procedures (8 VAC 20-650-30)
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure to Revise the Definitions of At-Risk of Becoming Low-Performing and Low-Performing Institutions of Higher Education in Virginia as Required by Title II of the Higher Education Act (HEA)
- Final Review of the "Advancing Virginia's Leadership Agenda" Guidance Document: Standards of Indicators for School Leaders and Documentation for the Principal of Distinction (Level II) Administration and Supervision Endorsement
- Final Review of the Board of Education's 2008 Annual Report on the Condition and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
- First Review of the Board of Education's 2008 Annual Report on Electronic Meetings
- Final Review of the Standards of Quality
- Report from the Petersburg City School Board on the Virginia Board of Education's Request to Begin Planning for the Implementation of the Restructuring Contingency Plan for the 2009-2010 School year
- Annual Report: Virginia Committee for Career and Technical Education
- Report on the Statewide Dropout Prevention Summit Held October 28, 2008
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Richmond Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, November 19, 2008. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to insure that the Board hears from different points of view on anyparticular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.