Board Meeting Agenda - January 15, 2009
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Highlights on Educational Excellence:
- Presentation by Virginia's Secretary of Technology, Aneesh Chopra, on the PlugGED In Initiative
- Announcement of Awards for High-Performing Schools and School Divisions in Virginia: The Virginia Index of Performance (VIP) Program Awards
Approval of Minutes of the November 20, 2008, Meeting of the Board
- Presentation of Resolution of Appreciation to Suzette Denslow, Deputy Policy Director and Legislative Director, Office of the Governor, for outstanding service to public education
- Presentation to school divisions recently receiving the SACS/CASI District Accreditation: Bland County Public Schools, Dickenson County Public Schools, Pulaski County Public Schools, Suffolk City Public Schools, Tazewell County Public Schools, and Washington County Public Schools
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Applications for Literary Fund Loans
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Fund or Placement on a Waiting List
- First Review of Revisions of Industry, Professional, or Trade Association Certification Examinations and Occupational Competency Assessments to Meet the Requirements for the Board of Education's Career and Technical Education and Advanced Mathematics and Technology Seals and the Student-Selected Verified Credit
- First Review of Timeline for the Review of the Science Standards of Learning
- First Review of Timeline for the Review of the English Standards of Learning
- First Review of a Request to Appoint a Part-Time Superintendent for Highland County Public Schools
- First Review of a Request to Appoint a Part-Time Superintendent for Colonial Beach Public Schools
- First Review of Proposed Amendment to Virginia's Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure to Grant Approval to Requests to Add New Endorsement Programs at the University of Mary Washington and the University of Virginia
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant Full Accreditation to the Teacher Education Program at Saint Paul's College
- Report on the Alternative Education Programs in Petersburg City Public Schools
- Report on the Governor's Proposed Amendments to the 2008-2010 Biennial Budget (HB 1600/SB 850)
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, January 14, 2009. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.