Board Meeting Agenda - February 19, 2009
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
- Presentation of Resolution of Appreciation to Suzette Denslow, former Deputy Policy Director and Legislative Director, Office of the Governor, for outstanding service to public education
- Presentation of Resolutions of Recognition to the Virginia Recipients of the 2008 Milken Family Foundation National Educators Awards
Approval of Minutes of the January 15, 2009, Meeting of the Board
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8VAC 20-131-10 et seq.)
- First Review of a Request for Approval of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Fairfax County Public Schools for the Key Center
- First Review of a Request for Approval of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Fairfax County Public Schools for the Kilmer Center
- Final Review of Proposed Revised Mathematics Standards of Learning
- First Review of Process for State Adoption of Textbooks and Instructional Materials for K-12 History and Social Science
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure to Grant Approval to Requests to Add New Endorsement Programs at Norfolk State University and Virginia State University
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, February 18, 2009. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.