Board Meeting Agenda - June 25, 2009
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Resolution of Appreciation presented to Andrew J. Rotherham for his outstanding service as a member of the Board of Education, 2005-2009
Approval of Minutes of the May 28, 2009, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of a Proposal Regarding Grade 3 History and Social Science Assessments and a Timeline for Revising Reading Assessments
- First Review of Proposed Economics and Personal Finance Standards of Learning
- First Review of a Request to Extend Approval of Alternative Accreditation Plans from Henrico County Public Schools for Mt. Vernon Middle School and New Bridge Middle School
- First Review of Proposed Guidelines for the Neighborhood Assistance Program for Education
- First Review of the Proposed Template for School Divisions to Display Budget Information (HB 2269)
- First Review of Revisions to Criteria for the Virginia Index of Performance, Virginia's Incentive Program to Encourage and Recognize School Accountability Performance and Competence to Excellence
- First Review of Pupil Transportation Specifications for School Buses
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, June 24, 2009. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.