Board Meeting Agenda - July 23, 2009
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the June 25, 2009, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Applications for Literary Fund Loans
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications
- First Review of Proposed Revised Guidelines and Standards of Learning for Family Life Education as Required by the 2009 General Assembly
- First Review of Revised Guidelines for Awarding the Veteran Honorary High School Diploma in Response to HB 1767 Adopted by the 2009 General Assembly
- First Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for 2010 Calendar Year
- First Review of Revised Eligibility Criteria for Cost-Saving and Service-Sharing Agreements Between School Divisions in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- First Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on Board of Education Advisory Committees: Advisory Committee on Adult Education and Literacy, State Special Education Advisory Committee, Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education, Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted, and the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
- First Review of Proposed Guidelines for an Academic and Career Plan as Required in Section 8 VAC 20-31-140 of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Governing Local School Boards and School Divisions (8 VAC 20-720) and Repeal of the Regulations Governing Instructional Materials – Selection and Utilization by Local School Boards (8 VAC 20-170), Regulations Governing Textbook Adoption State Level (8 VAC 20-220), Regulations Governing Textbook Adoption Local Level (8 VAC 20-230), and Regulations Governing Textbook Fund Management and Handling on Local Level (8 VAC 20-270)
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Governing Local School Boards and School Divisions (8 VAC 20-720) and Repeal of the Rules Governing Fees and Charges (8 VAC 20-370)
- First Review of the Proposal to Establish the Governor's School @ Innovation Park (GS@IP) Serving Students from Manassas City, Manassas Park City, and Prince William County Public School Divisions
- First Review of a Proposal to Establish a Governor's Career and Technical Academy: The Governor's Career and Technical Academy for STEM in Richmond
- First Review of Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning
- Final Review of Revisions to Criteria for the Virginia Index of Performance, Virginia's Incentive Program to Encourage and Recognize School Accountability Performance and Competence to Excellence
- First Review of Updates to the Virginia Board of Education Student Conduct Policy Guidelines
- Final Review of Proposed Guidelines for the Neighborhood Assistance Program for Education
- First Review of the Direct Aid to Public Education Budget for the 2010-2012 Biennium
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, July 22, 2009. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.