Board Meeting Agenda - September 17, 2009
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the July 23, 2009, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
- Final Review of Pupil Transportation Specifications for School Buses
- First Review of a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) for Proposed Regulations Governing Unexcused Absences and Truancy
- First Review of Requests from Norfolk City School Board for a Rating of Conditionally Accredited for Lafayette-Winona Middle School and Northside Middle School
- First Review of Requests for Continuation of the Rating of Conditionally Accredited from Norfolk City School Board and Richmond City School Board
- First Review of a Revised Memorandum of Understanding for Sussex County Public Schools to Include Compliance with the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (SOA) (8 VAC 20-131-315)
- First Review of a Report on the Investigation of a Testing Irregularity and Resulting Non-compliance with 8 VAC 20-131-30 of the Standards for Accrediting Schools at A.P. Hill Elementary School in Petersburg City for the 2008-2009 School Year
- Final Review of Proposed Guidelines for an Academic and Career Plan as Required in Section 8 VAC 20-131-140 of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia
- First Review of the 2008-2009 Annual Report on Public Charter Schools in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Standards of Quality
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING ADJOURNMENT OF BUSINESS SESSION:
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, September 16, 2009. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.