Board Meeting Agenda - October 22, 2009
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the September 17, 2009, Meeting of the Board
- Recognition of the Virginia Museum of Fine Art’s Education and Statewide
Partnerships Trustee Committee
- Recognition of the Recipients of the National Cyber Security Alliance 2009 K-12 Poster and Video Contest
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Applications for Literary Fund Loans
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Fund or Placement on a Waiting List
- Final Review of the Standards of Quality
- First Review of a Revised Memorandum of Understanding for Petersburg City Public Schools to include Compliance with the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131-315)
- First Review of Report on Career and Technical Education Programs in Petersburg City Public Schools
- First Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommendation Regarding the Certification of Braille Instructors in Response to the Virginia General Assembly House Bill 2224
- Final Review of the Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning
- First Review of the Proposed Revised English Standards of Learning
- First Review of the Proposed Revised Science Standards of Learning
- First Review of the 2008-2009 Annual Report on Regional Alternative Education Programs
- First Review of Educational Technology Plan for Virginia: 2009-2015
- First Review of the Board of Education’s 2009 Annual Report of the Conditions and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, October 21, 2009. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.